What's new

Asus RT-68U Better than 68P In My Case - Is It Possible ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IAAI

Very Senior Member
I will start off with , I m not an expert I m just a regular home user happened to be in charge of this dumb router (68P). :D
If you want a expert opinion please check on Tim's review of both routers. I m just sharing what's happening with me.

Capture1.jpg

Capture11.jpg

:rolleyes:
Test Mode :

Same Router Location
Same Antenna Position
Same WiFi Settings
Same dBm
Same ISP
Same PC Location
Same Time
Same Neighbors SSID's
Just 1 Client
=
Different Results o_O
------------
68U :
nvram get bl_version
John's FW

68P :
nvram get bl_version
Merlin's FW
------------
1 - some might say , its the driver and i will say i tried John's FW on 68P and ended up with the same results.
2 - some might say , 68P has higher clock rate and i will say i overclocked 68U to the same 1000,800.
3 - some might say , Don't trust Windows link speeds and i will say all my wired and wireless clients complained the following with 68P. (occupational internet&wifi drop out + USB share is slow over wifi even if you are setting next to the router)
BTW Yes I did a factory reset :p
----------
Does the bootloader got anything to do with this ?

68P owners please share your experience​

I know the reason for that happening, but if i told you i would need to kill you after. :p

PS: You should do those comparision using the exact same FW on both devices.

Last edited:
If you are in an experimenting mood....try loading a copy of my fork V06E just to test the 5GHz wireless.

I know the reason for that happening, but if i told you i would need to kill you after. :p

PS: You should do those comparision using the exact same FW on both devices.

then don't tell me :p

now i got merlins 55 on 68U AND
IT UPDATES BOOTLOADER TO 1.0.2.0
Here you go , fresh one
Capture.jpg

If you are in an experimenting mood....try loading a copy of my fork V06E just to test the 5GHz wireless.

I will and i will get back in 3 hours :D

Let me add up one more thing
Routers are in same room + Same AC is running at Same degree
68U = 81 c
68P = 76 c
+
Both are at the same clock rate

different CPU ? <<< shut up i m just kidding
:rolleyes:

Try the same FW on both routers and check the speeds again.

i don't know what to say but damn :eek:
Capture.jpg

this is with John's 6E , dirty flash over merlin's 55 for 68U CFE 1.0.2.0
i have never ever seen this link speed from this location
Test Mode >>> everything above is the same :D
+
Never goes below 585

I have the 68P w/ Merlin's 378.55 FW and I always get either 680 Mbps, 702 Mbps, or 866.7 Mbps link rate. I also only have a 2x2 ac wireless card so 866.7 Mbps will be the highest link rate I will be able to achieve.

i don't know what to say but damn :eek:

this is with John's 6E , dirty flash over merlin's 55 for 68U CFE 1.0.2.0
i have never ever seen this link speed from this location
Test Mode >>> everything above is the same :D
+
Never goes below 585

Nothing changed with respect to the 68U (although with a dirty flash (I assume you mean no factory reset), I don't know what you are really running.

Try the V06E on the 68P. For that there was a change starting in V07.

I have the 68P w/ Merlin's 378.55 FW and I always get either 680 Mbps, 702 Mbps, or 866.7 Mbps link rate. I also only have a 2x2 ac wireless card so 866.7 Mbps will be the highest link rate I will be able to achieve.

i never said it won't get 866 and Yes it can get 866 once you set close to it, but i was talking as testing in my environment + link speed is just one thing , my internet connection is not as stable as it is on 68U

Nothing changed with respect to the 68U (although with a dirty flash (I assume you mean no factory reset), I don't know what you are really running.

yes you got it right , i didn't do factory reset
i will try 6E on 68P

here is 68P running your build 6E
Capture.jpg

i m gonna stick with 68U

Interesting...thanks for taking the time to try it. Some confirmation that the changes for the 68P that I backported were the right thing to do.

All custom firmwares are great it's just the router (68P) has something wrong in it.

My 68P is located in my bedroom downstairs and the laptop I use is in my living room upstairs. It may have something wrong w/ it, but it is head over heels better than the router I upgraded from (D-Link DIR-685) in which I use as an AP in 802.11g mode only to keep my son's 3DS and my iPod off of the our N and AC network that my 68P is set up for.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!