What's new

Asus RT-AC3100 max link rate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbodine74

Regular Contributor
I have a Asus rt-ac3100 which I love. I downloaded wifi explorer for the mac which shows all networks nearby and their speeds, etc. My router only show a max rate of 600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1733 Mbps on 5 GHz. The rt-ac3100 should be showing 1000 Mbps and 2165 Mbps. How do you get wifi explorer to show the max rates of 1000 on 2.4 GHz and 2165 on 5 GHz. I just want to see it, I do not care if I can achieve this or not. Does it have to do with my mac only being able to get 45o Mbps on 5GHz or is it something else?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 10.52.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 10.52.48 PM.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 361
How do you get wifi explorer to show the max rates of 1000 on 2.4 GHz and 2165 on 5 GHz.

By telling its authors to detect those non-standard MCS modes.

(in short: it's the scanning software that decides what link rates to report, the values aren't provided by the router).

Seeing the same issue here with the RT-AC3100, using inssider is there another application I could use?

(in short: it's the scanning software that decides what link rates to report, the values aren't provided by the router).

With WiFi Explorer - he depends on what CoreWLAN reports, as the app uses the Apple frameworks - CoreWLAN pushes up what the chipset driver reports.

Not the author, it's Apple - and since these rates are non-standard, it's not a big deal ;)

Eric - you know my thoughts on non-standard MCS rates in any event - it does tend to cause interop issues... as there are clients that just don't want to play there.

Broadcom has the options for interoperability, but Asus and other vendors - chasing marketing numbers, turn the volume knob up to eleven...

Case in point - Linksys WRT1900ac to Asus USB-AC56 - turn on turbo, the usb nic won't connect in 2.4GHz- is it Linksys or Asus (or Marvell or Realtek) that has a problem? Put the Linky into B/G/N mode, and suddenly it connects...

It's actually both - Realtek sees non-standard MCS one way, Marvell sees it another, and Broadcom sees it as yet one more way...

FWIW - the USB-AC56 does work with the WRT-1900ac in 5GHz, and there it works quite well

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!