What's new

ASUS RT-AC3200 5ghz-2 Band not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peter Gustavsson

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I am using the Smart connect feature to have some kind of "load balancing" between the antennas.
I have never been able to get my brand new MacBook Pro 15inch retina, to use the higher AC channels (5ghz-2 on the router).

Can someone post their settings (Screenshot) of how you have setup load balancing to actually work?
All my AC devices now end up on 5gz-1 band.

Turning the smart connect off, does still seem to never make my AC-devices to use the 5ghz-2 band for high AC-speeds. My laptops support the higher bands of AC (130 and upward).

Just one note - I did install Merlin firmware for AC3200. Could that have broken 5gz-2 band?.
I believe it should not as Merlins stuff is really stable and well used out there. But just guessing here.

Are you running El Capitan?

Hi,

I am curious: What has this to do with El Capitan. Reason I am asking: I have a AC3200 myself as of today and am fiddling around with band steering. My El Capitan MacBook connects to both bands if I disable/enable WLAN (without me finding any clear reason why 5-1 or 5-2 is used in the particular case). However I did not notice any real "steering".

Regards,
JP

ElCap shouldn't make any difference, but one thing that can make a difference is the region that the Mac thinks it's in...

Go to "About this Mac", click on System Report, scroll down to Network, subheading WiFi, and check for Locale and Country Code - for example, my Mac right now says "Locale: FCC", "Country Code: US", and I have access to the channels allowed in our regulatory domain here in the US...

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

(yes, Mac's can use the DFS/TPC channels if there is an AP there)...

Locale:ETSI

Länderkennung:DE

Unterstützte PHY-Modi:802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Unterstützte Kanäle:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

That should not be a problem. :)

What I'm getting at is that Mac's will honor the 802.11d attributes in Beacon frames, and a neighboring AP not set correctly for the Region, can cause issues where the Mac might not find a perfectly valid Channel...

Had this happen to me once on the road here in the US, where someone's MiFi was set to TW rather than US, and this locked me out of certain 5GHz channels while I was in that location...

@Jan-Peter Koopmann - agreed, you shouldn't have any problems...

@Peter Gustavsson - what does your Mac say it thinks it is ;)
Mac says now its a SE (Sweden) router. But what is weird is that the higher channels are completely not visible running a Wifi scanner (Istumbler). I have a 2014 Mac Book Pro that supports AC and all high channels.
If I run the AC3200 in Smart Connect mode or 3 separate networks, the 5ghz-2 band is completely not visible by any computer at all. Any ideas on that? The router says it is broadcasting the 5ghz-2 wifi and that its channel 132 (that my computers support and SE(Sweden) supports.

Feels like I have a 3 band router that only operates on 2 of em :).

Sounds like a Mac problem , have you tried with another device to see if it connects to 5.2

I tested this router and the Linksys EA9200 and the smart connect features suck. Just separate the bands yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Sounds like a Mac problem , have you tried with another device to see if it connects to 5.2
I have tried 3 various macs and one PC. All supporting AC speeds of above 1200mbit, no one can see these channels nor the SSID if I set 3 different networks (2.4 , 5 , 5-2). Its like 5.2 does not exists. But the router says its turned on and using channel 132.

Best I get is 5ghz-1 band and 80mhz (867 mbit or so). the 5-2 band is not getting any clients, nor is it visible for any clients.

To me it feels more like a router and or firmware issue?
Can anyone using Merlin confirm 5-2 band works with AC-3200.

I have tried 3 various macs and one PC. All supporting AC speeds of above 1200mbit, no one can see these channels nor the SSID if I set 3 different networks (2.4 , 5 , 5-2). Its like 5.2 does not exists. But the router says its turned on and using channel 132.

Best I get is 5ghz-1 band and 80mhz (867 mbit or so). the 5-2 band is not getting any clients, nor is it visible for any clients.

To me it feels more like a router and or firmware issue?
Can anyone using Merlin confirm 5-2 band works with AC-3200.
yes , my 2 3200 connect on 5.2 , I do not use smart connect though , best I ever get is 600-800 connection , but I've never tested in the same room as router , always a few doors and distance between client and router .
This is with latest Merlin and Alpha 4 Merlin

yes , my 2 3200 connect on 5.2 , I do not use smart connect though , best I ever get is 600-800 connection , but I've never tested in the same room as router , always a few doors and distance between client and router .
This is with latest Merlin and Alpha 4 Merlin

Get in the same room with the Router, and see what you see - remember, on your Macs, you can option-click on the AirPort icon in the menu bar, and it'll give you some very nice info...

Also - just as a suggestion - might consider spending a couple of dollars in the App Store and get "WiFi Explorer" published by Adrian Granados - http://www.adriangranados.com/apps/wifi-explorer

Get in the same room with the Router, and see what you see - remember, on your Macs, you can option-click on the AirPort icon in the menu bar, and it'll give you some very nice info...

Also - just as a suggestion - might consider spending a couple of dollars in the App Store and get "WiFi Explorer" published by Adrian Granados - http://www.adriangranados.com/apps/wifi-explorer
Why ? I am okay with performance I;m getting , I'm never in the same room as router so of little or no use to me . Transfer rates in the 23 - 35 MBPS from 30 - 45 feet with walls and floors , nothing to complain about , if I were in same room I'd use lan cable

Why ? I am okay with performance I;m getting , I'm never in the same room as router so of little or no use to me . Transfer rates in the 23 - 35 MBPS from 30 - 45 feet with walls and floors , nothing to complain about , if I were in same room I'd use lan cable

Hehe, no doubt, except that the rMBP and the MBA don't have an ethernet port built in, so it's another dongle thingy and an extra step :D

Hehe, no doubt, except that the rMBP and the MBA don't have an ethernet port built in, so it's another dongle thingy and an extra step :D
Ah , now I understand , was not aware MBP and other had no ethernet port . I can see how same room performance would matter . If I get some time I'll give it a try , a pain as my laptops are in docks with all kinds of cables and accessories attached .
Might be interesting to see how good or bad a connection I'll get same room

Hi,

Old thread but I have the exact same problem. I have an RT-AC3200 router with one SSID for the 2.4ghz and one for 5GHz. I noticed that no clients connected to the second 5ghz antenna so I gave it a name of its own. None of my clients (iphone, appletv and macbook pro 2016) can see the second 5ghz network.

I have smart connect disabled. The mac is set to sweden.

Did you solve this issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!