What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 Maximum number of DHCP clients/addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nigma

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a fairly large number of devices in my set-up over 100 and the router as shipped by default supports DHCP for 253 clients.. i.e. 192.168.0.2 - > 192.168.0.254. Is it possible to use a different IP address range that will enable me to support more clients, and more importantly will the report be able issue the addresses and route as expected ?

Most of these devices are very low/next to zero traffic most of the time but need to active internet connection so I'm not concerned about overall throughput.

Thanks
Anand

Not without breaking some or all features and functionality.

If you need a router with more than 253 clients or so, you will need to look into a commercial product. No consumer router I know will help.

I am assuming these are wireless clients that you're asking about too? Even with little to zero traffic, putting more than about 50 clients on a single wireless router will make most routers very unstable.

Not without breaking some or all features and functionality.

I am assuming these are wireless clients that you're asking about too? Even with little to zero traffic, putting more than about 50 clients on a single wireless router will make most routers very unstable.

It's a mix of wireless and wired. Does that fact these are split over the three bands help somewhat ? Assume the limitation is more to do with the wireless than the ability of the router to route signals ?

Parts of the firmware aren't really designed to handle subnets larger than a /24 - networkmap for instance has portions harcoded to a /24.

For such a large number of devices, I recommend using a business-oriented device as your router, and possibly only use those Asus gateways as APs.