What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32738

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
:)

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
2018/08/21 45.38 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32738
AiMesh new features
- Supported creating mesh system with new router, BlueCave.
- Added Roaming block list in Advanced Settings --> Wireless.
You can add devices into block list and this device will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes.
- Supported ethernet onboarding. User can use ethernet cable.
You can use ethernet cable to connect AiMesh router LAN port and AiMesh node WAN port first and run the adding node process to build the mesh system.

Security fixes.
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.

Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues.
Fixed Samba/FTP folder permission issues.
Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration --> System --> USB Settings.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: e3fe98bee05cc158b48b4f01412dea41

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC5300/FW_RT_AC5300_300438432738.ZIP

So far, it appears that all routers are receiving the same enhancements and fixes with this firmware version. Seems like ASUS has all their router firmwares in pretty good sync right now.

Any release shall be tested by qualification team. We need more time to process every model. If you want all model are release at some time, the release time will be longer.
thats ok, but usually companies will update recent products first and then the older ones.

Any release shall be tested by qualification team. We need more time to process every model. If you want all model are release at some time, the release time will be longer.

Arthur,

After I noticed the new Firmware update, I tried to update using the GUI, it failed
  • Once it said something like I loss my internet connection and asked me to try again
  • Once I managed to see the firmware install progress .... after restarting, I am back to last firmware version
  • Not sure it is just me :(
The way I got around it is to
  • turn off my 2 Asus RT-AC86U AiMesh Nodes
  • restart my Asus RT-AC5300 AiMesh Router (without the node)
  • Manually Upload the Firmware
After that noticed some WiFi issues, so I decided to do my usual my Factory Reset for my AiMesh Router and AiMesh Nodes, and all is normal now:)

As many of us will have a combination of different Asus Routers, would you recommend that we should we wait till all our routers has the same new version before we update? Clearly for my configuration, there is a problem ... I have tried more permutations then I describe above.

@arthurlien

I updated the 5300 last night and tried on boarding a node, (full reset) via ethernet. Failed every time. I had to go back and do the wireless on board, and then move it back to my ethernet cable.
The attempt worked well the day before, I installed this f/w version on my 5300. Unit was re started 4 or 5 times to make sure no cob webs. On boarding worked well when the 68U's I have were updated to the latest firmware, however the one for the 5300 threw something amiss.
Submitting feedback from router.

edit : Submitted

Ps Sorry so short trying to run out the door to work.

thats ok, but usually companies will update recent products first and then the older ones.

It's not easy to say which model will be released first. When the test failed, it will need time to fix and retest again.

@arthurlien

I updated the 5300 last night and tried on boarding a node, (full reset) via ethernet. Failed every time. I had to go back and do the wireless on board, and then move it back to my ethernet cable.
The attempt worked well the day before, I installed this f/w version on my 5300. Unit was re started 4 or 5 times to make sure no cob webs. On boarding worked well when the 68U's I have were updated to the latest firmware, however the one for the 5300 threw something amiss.
Submitting feedback from router.

edit : Submitted

Ps Sorry so short trying to run out the door to work.

If you test the ethernet onboarding, AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node shall be updated to 32738 or newer.

Arthur,

After I noticed the new Firmware update, I tried to update using the GUI, it failed
  • Once it said something like I loss my internet connection and asked me to try again
  • Once I managed to see the firmware install progress .... after restarting, I am back to last firmware version
  • Not sure it is just me :(
I will check it.

As many of us will have a combination of different Asus Routers, would you recommend that we should we wait till all our routers has the same new version before we update?

There is some case you need to make sure all router and node are the same versions.
1. You want to use New Feature.
2. New Model support AiMesh in the early stage.

If you test the ethernet onboarding, AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node shall be updated to 32738 or newer.
All devices have been updated to 32738 prior to this.
Ill triple check when I get home. I’m always game for trying the newest so very unlikely it’s less than 32378.

All devices have been updated to 32738 prior to this.
Ill triple check when I get home. I’m always game for trying the newest so very unlikely it’s less than 32378.

One more thing, the new node shall connect with router or node without any switch device.

One more thing, the new node shall connect with router or node without any switch device.
@arthurlien

Is it worth redoing my node wiring to omit the switch I have in place? Everything works fine once it is set up?
I could easily run 2 new wires if needed to each node, if I knew I would see any substantial difference.

I will check it.

There is some case you need to make sure all router and node are the same versions.
1. You want to use New Feature.
2. New Model support AiMesh in the early stage.

Arthur,

I think I found an Ethernet Onboarding Bug for my configuration (see my signature)

My physical layout for my AiMesh Devices are as follows:
  • (AiMesh Router - AC5300) ... Walls ... (AiMesh Node1 - AC86U) ... Walls ... (AiMesh Node2 - AC86U)
After Factory Reseting (appeared to be a mandatory requirement for this major release), when searching for AiMesh Nodes
  • It Found both AiMesh Node(s), initially showing "Wifi" icons ... after a little while ... turn to "Ethernet" icons; hurray signs that Ethernet Onboarding support is there :)
  • However, I deliberately pick up AiMesh Node2 which is furthest away from my AiMesh Router, I got the following prompt, showing that Ethernet Onboarding is still not yet working for my configuration. :(
Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 10.07.41 PM.png

If anyone is following this topic, comments etc. This one is spot on, ethernet on boarding will work, but it must not pass through a switch.

Today I added 2 additional nodes, to my config, now totaling 4. I used a coupler to quickly connect my router LAN to switch cable to the cable to the node (bypassing the switch) It worked very easily. Yeah I was hard headed and tried it through the switch a time or two. ;)

TLDR -- Its 100% true as Arthur said no switches.

Cc / @LimJK @Grisu

Last edited:
If anyone is following this topic, comments etc. This one is spot on, ethernet on boarding will work, but it must not pass through a switch.

Today I added 2 additional nodes, to my config, now totaling 4. I used a coupler to quickly connect my router LAN to switch cable to the cable to the node (bypassing the switch) It worked very easily. Yeah I was hard headed and tried it through the switch a time or two. ;)

TLDR -- Its 100% true as Arthur said no switches.

Cc / @LimJK @Grisu
HuskyHerder,

You got a point about the switch ... I will test it by factory reset again when I find some time later.

I used to have an old Cisco Unmanaged Switch that is not compatible with AiMesh, I have replaced it with a new Linksys Unmanaged switch few months back and it has no problem with AiMesh Wired Backhaul ever since. Anyway the fact that during the AiMesh Node search it recognises the "Wired" Connection as per my screen shot above. So I would still consider it a bug. Removing the switch is not feasible in my home environment.

Yeah my switch is not removable either. I purchased a cheap $2 ethernet coupler, to assist me. So when ever I need to on board one.

1. Temporarily direct connect the Nodes cable to the Router cable @ the GB switch, with that coupler.
2. Pair node
3. Re connect both cable back to my switch.
4. By this time and a re login to my 5300 the node is usually showing as online and wired.
* Just saves me from pulling the node down from the placements, for WiFi on boarding as they are not really the easiest to access.

Moral of my story a cheap $2 coupler and my already numbered LAN wires, can quickly fix my issues if I need an on boarding of the node. Saves me pulling new CAT6 and all. I however use to pull wiring for a living in another life time. So pulling more wires is not really an issue.
That previous life is what led me to wire every part of this house. :D Glad I did plaster walls and wire mesh, :mad: NO good WiFi.

ps. Yep I have also seen the node show up as wired in the GUI.

pps. Now if it would work through the switch then I would be doing a super happy dance, but that's never usually my case.

The link to the new firmware is not working for me. Either via the the link inthe OP or on Asus support page

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!