What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 poor speeds on 2.4Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vipermk2

Occasional Visitor
I've just replaced my RTAC68U with a AC5300 and found the 2.4 Ghz very poor. The first image was taken with a WiFi analyser on my S7 Edge this morning with my AC68U connected

2lt6bt2.png

The 2nd image was taken after installing the AC5300 from the same place in the room and it has dropped from 104mbps to 7mbps

1xx5xs.png

When I go onto speedtest on the 5G2 I get full 75/17
on the 2.4 I get 3.4/2

I've updated the firmware to stock 380-4180 straight away, does the router need to be defaulted and re configured again.

Not that this is the reason but ch 2 is not a good one to use.
Use 1, 6 0r 11.

The analyser says 1-3 are the best round here so it doesnt clash with the other routers in range.
I've just sat next to the router with my phone and the most I cant get on 2.4 is 13mbps whereas the 5G-2 is 780 mbps

Last edited:
Are there any USB3.0 devices nearby the router? It may interfere 2.4Ghz wifi.
If you are connecting its USB3.0 port, you want to try the option to reduce Interference under Wireless -> Professional (2.4 GHz band).

Are there any USB3.0 devices nearby the router? It may interfere 2.4Ghz wifi.
If you are connecting its USB3.0 port, you want to try the option to reduce Interference under Wireless -> Professional (2.4 GHz band).
I have a 5Tb drive connected to the USB 3.0 port which is about 2m away from the router and the Reducing USB 3 interference is already enabled.

I have take advice from Pierino and changed the channel to 10 and it has significantly increased it to 104Mbps however it puts it in the range of all the other routers around me. I deally at this range it should be around 190Mbps. I'm going to continue to play around with the channels but the ones that seem to be clear at the bottom end are the worst, for this router anyway, channel 2 was great for the RT-AC68U

6gvrlx.png

Don't use 10. You are overlapping more channels that way. Only use 1, 6 or 11.
Ch 1 or 11 look the best. If you set ch 11 you only get 2 others interfering with you but on the same wavelength.
Using ch 10 you get interference from those on ch 11 and all those below you which is 4 other ssid's. So on ch 1 you have 6 others clashing with you.

Don't use 10. You are overlapping more channels that way. Only use 1, 6 or 11.
Ch 1 or 11 look the best. If you set ch 11 you only get 2 others interfering with you but on the same wavelength.
Using ch 10 you get interference from those on ch 11 and all those below you which is 4 other ssid's. So on ch 1 you have 6 others clashing with you.

Channel 1 is the worst of the 3 with speeds between 5-13Mbps
Channel 6 is definately more stable and has better speeds than the others at least it does for now but it is fluctating wildly between 52 - 192Mbps
Channel 11 between 13 - 58

This is doing my head in now, just gone back to 6 after testing 11 and it has dropped to 5Mbps

29gd2eo.png