What's new

Asus RT AC5300 with Dual WAN Config in front of Google WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nucleartrousers

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have an Asus RT AC5300 running Merlin firmware v384.7 and have struggled with wifi stability for absolutely ages. I've tried different channels and likely all manner of configurations even Ai-Mesh but nothing stays stable. My IP cams drop on and off of the network, printers drop off of the network and need their wifi stopped/restarted or the router rebooted to come back on, Airprint only works just after a router reboot then fails, Sonos drops on and off of the network and the Asus needs a reboot every couple of days to keep everything from grinding to a halt!

I need more than one Wifi AP to reach around the house so have a second RT-AC5300 upstairs hard-wired in AP mode as well as another hard-wired AP at the other end of the house.

I'm fed up with tinkering, I just want something stable, easy to use and that works. I've decided to go with trialling 3x Google WiFi puks. They arrive tomorrow.

However, on the main RT-AC5300 (that connects to the Internet) I use dual WAN config with scripted rules to route traffic according to it's IP either out on the WAN interface or LAN1.

Is there any way of turning the Asus into an edge type router?

Hi,
I have an Asus RT AC5300 running Merlin firmware v384.7 and have struggled with wifi stability for absolutely ages. I've tried different channels and likely all manner of configurations even Ai-Mesh but nothing stays stable. My IP cams drop on and off of the network, printers drop off of the network and need their wifi stopped/restarted or the router rebooted to come back on, Airprint only works just after a router reboot then fails, Sonos drops on and off of the network and the Asus needs a reboot every couple of days to keep everything from grinding to a halt!

I need more than one Wifi AP to reach around the house so have a second RT-AC5300 upstairs hard-wired in AP mode as well as another hard-wired AP at the other end of the house.

I'm fed up with tinkering, I just want something stable, easy to use and that works. I've decided to go with trialling 3x Google WiFi puks. They arrive tomorrow.

However, on the main RT-AC5300 (that connects to the Internet) I use dual WAN config with scripted rules to route traffic according to it's IP either out on the WAN interface or LAN1.

Is there any way of turning the Asus into an edge type router?

What do you need when you ask for an 'edge type router', specifically?

How large is the WiFi area covered that you have 3 WiFi points? That may be the cause of issues right there if they overlap to each other's detriment?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!