What's new

Asus RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No1Viking

Occasional Visitor
What an awesome router...

I had a RT-AC3200 router which was unstable and odd in a lot of cases. I could not even get my Sonos speakers to run in a stable way.
Now with my AC5300 all is very good. Speed is constant and speakers did not have any hickups at all.

I would really like to recommend all router freaks out there to get a Asus RT-AC5300. You will not be dissapointed!

Michael

As a fellow router freak I agree with you! :)

Although I haven't bought an RT-AC5300 yet, I have used an RT-AC3100 and was also duly impressed.

The latest routers do offer improvements. Even if those improvements are hard to believe when reading mere 'specs'. :)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

Michael, if you're giving away money for others to get their own 'AC5300, pick me, pick me! :D:D:D

Michael, if you're giving away money for others to get their own 'AC5300, pick me, pick me! :D:D:D

I wish I was that rich.... But I am doing some investments and they will hopefylly give me around 2% interest a day so..... I will get back to you later on that issue.

Br

Michael

I also agree. I recently got the AC5300 and the performance and range of this is incredible. It is also very stable it seems.

Yes, approximately 2% a day, but that is not the subject in this thread.

My AC5300 performs the same every day. It is, with out a doubt the best router I've ever had.

Michael

Guys, you are right, the AC-5300 is one of the best routers. Purchased it recently for our company and it works really well. But, there is one issue I am not able to resolve. We have about 25 PCs in our network. Most of them are desktop PCs and are WIRE-CONNECTED. We also have 5 or 6 laptops, that are connected to our network through Wi-Fi connection. (wireless). When you click on MyNetwork icon on the desktop on any of our computers you see all our computers without exception. And when click on a network computer that is wire connected you can open shared folders on this computer, but as soon as you click on laptop computer, that is connected through wi-fi connection it does not allow you to see shared folders on wi-fi connected computer. It gives you famous error 0x80070035. As soon as I plug the cable into my laptop it can open shared folders on other cable-connected computers and I can open shared folders on this laptop from other cable-connected computers. When I disconnct network cable from my laptop and it switches back to wi-fi connection I cannot open shared folders anymore. PLEASE HELP. Tried everything, TURNED ON NetBIOS in the adapter settings and other options suggested by Microsoft Help. I have to mention that I did not have this problem on my OLD LINKSYS router

ross, check that the wireless connections are classified as 'private' and not 'public' in Network and Sharing Center.

ross, check that the wireless connections are classified as 'private' and not 'public' in Network and Sharing Center.
Nope, did not work. There is another symptom. When I change any network setting on my laptop, then do reconnect, then it works well for 2-3 minutes and then same old story...

I think you may have messed the network settings up?

Create a new user account and see if it follows the same behavior, as a sanity check. Don't start changing settings willy-nilly either. ;)

I am on my 3rd AC5300. The wifi has major issues.
1st router... within 30 days the 2nd 5ghz band just stopped working. Kept reporting channel 0. Resetting, reflashing.. nothing worked. All stock firmware
2nd router... within 3 months the 2.4ghz stopped broadcasting in the 1-11 channel range. 2.4ghz reported channel 48. Resetting, reflashing.. nothing worked. All stock firmware. Also on the latest firmware anything connected to 2.4ghz was not visible.

Picked up my 3rd one today. This will be the last chance I give this router before I switch back to Netgear. Been using my Nighthawk x8 while I waited for my AC5300 to arrive and it has been flawless.
I cannot honestly recommend the RT-AC5300 router unless you buy an extended warranty.

Guys, you are right, the AC-5300 is one of the best routers. Purchased it recently for our company and it works really well. But, there is one issue I am not able to resolve. We have about 25 PCs in our network. Most of them are desktop PCs and are WIRE-CONNECTED. We also have 5 or 6 laptops, that are connected to our network through Wi-Fi connection. (wireless). When you click on MyNetwork icon on the desktop on any of our computers you see all our computers without exception. And when click on a network computer that is wire connected you can open shared folders on this computer, but as soon as you click on laptop computer, that is connected through wi-fi connection it does not allow you to see shared folders on wi-fi connected computer. It gives you famous error 0x80070035. As soon as I plug the cable into my laptop it can open shared folders on other cable-connected computers and I can open shared folders on this laptop from other cable-connected computers. When I disconnct network cable from my laptop and it switches back to wi-fi connection I cannot open shared folders anymore. PLEASE HELP. Tried everything, TURNED ON NetBIOS in the adapter settings and other options suggested by Microsoft Help. I have to mention that I did not have this problem on my OLD LINKSYS router
GUYS, I JUST UPDATED ROUTER FIRMWARE TO MERLIN LATEST FIRMWARE AND THE PROBLEM IS GONE NOW. SO THE LATEST OFFICIAL FIRMWARE FROM ASUS HAS A BUG

Aside from the undesirable affects of the latest firmware I believe the firmware also caused irreversible effects on my 1st two routers.
Out the box I was getting amazing speeds.
LAN 950 down & 950 up
WLAN 520 down & 250 up.
Updated firmware and couldn't see wlan devices on 2.4hhz
Downgraded and LAN & wlan speeds dropped.
LAN 300 down & 700 up.
WLAN 250 down & 125 up.
Then eventually they just died.

I am not updating the firmware on this 3rd router...
I don't do anything crazy to the settings. Set SSID, login and passcode. I do have round 45-50 devices on my network As well as 3 other RT-AC68u and they are rock solid. That's why I got the RT-AC5300 to replace my Nighthawk x8.

So what did you do to get the router and the Sonos working well?

I had a RT-AC3200 router which was unstable and odd in a lot of cases. I could not even get my Sonos speakers to run in a stable way.
Now with my AC5300 all is very good. Speed is constant and speakers did not have any hickups at all.

I would really like to recommend all router freaks out there to get a Asus RT-AC5300. You will not be dissapointed!

Michael

That is not a long term stance, I hope?

Think I am done with Asus networking.
I had streaming issues with gigabit internet and replaced a Asus switch with a Netgear switch and it was resolved... Now a failing $400 Asus router

Didn't even open the 3rd router and ended up returning the 3rd router for a full refund.
Been using my older Nighthawk x8 with zero issues.

Going to miss the features of Asus but I would much rather have a working product.

Good luck with Netgear or any other router (consumer) router company other than Asus.

Not even opening the box doesn't qualify it as a failing router though.

I understand your frustration, but it doesn't seem that you put too much effort into resolving the issue(s) you experienced (based on your replies in this thread).

Michael

I've had the Asus RT-AC5300 ruuter for about 6 weeks now! I'm very satisfied with the performance and reliability. I have 30+ clients connected (via wired / wireless) and no issues!

I've also had NO ISSUES when gaming online via Xbox Live w/ two Xbox One game consoles connected simultaneously. :) It is one of my top 3 favorite rutters I've ever owned (D'Link DIR-890L & D'Link DIR-868L are my other two favorites). :)

hi guys,
how do you setup 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 frequency?
do you set both them at 80MHz or 1 at 40MHz and another at 80MhZ?
Any impact on the speed?
thanks for the advice.

ta