What's new

ASUS RT-AC56U and ipv6 compatibility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulsiu

Occasional Visitor
Recent news article about running out of ipv4 prompted me to look into upgrading my mom's router. She has one of those old Cisco router that only support ipv4 and has a number of security vulnerabilities. I was thinking of replacing it with ASUS RT-AC56U. Any idea what mode of ipv6 does it support? Does it support native ipv6?

Paul

Recent news article about running out of ipv4 prompted me to look into upgrading my mom's router. She has one of those old Cisco router that only support ipv4 and has a number of security vulnerabilities. I was thinking of replacing it with ASUS RT-AC56U. Any idea what mode of ipv6 does it support? Does it support native ipv6?

Paul

Yes it does support native IPv6, among others, as it runs the same modern firmware as the other recent ASUS routers

Thanks, I am unfamiliar with ASUS routers. My current router is a WRT610N, which is said to be IPV6 compatible, but when I tried to use it natively, I realized that it only support tunneling, so I wanted to make sure that this wasn't the case with RT-AC56u.

Paul

Thanks, I am unfamiliar with ASUS routers. My current router is a WRT610N, which is said to be IPV6 compatible, but when I tried to use it natively, I realized that it only support tunneling, so I wanted to make sure that this wasn't the case with RT-AC56u.

Paul

It's not the case with recent ASUS routers. All support native IPv6 and tunnel IPv6. I personally use native IPv6 on my Netgear which runs ASUS Merlin firmware (a mod by XVortex for the Netgear R7000)

Ok, the router arrived at my mom and I will try to watch my sister through it on the phone. I'll report back on how well it works.

Paul