What's new

ASUS RT-AC66R Firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Larry Baysinger

New Around Here
Greetings!

This is my first post here. Can anyone tell me if it possible to restrict IP cameras on the WLAN/LAN to the VPN exclusively for connections to the internet? I have setup the router and openVPN server. I can access the router web server and camera from the VPN with my smartphone. I can ping the local IP address of the camera through the VPN. The problem is that my smartphone app will connect to the camera even without the VPN. The camera is connecting (P2P) to an Amazon hosted server in Oregon to get the internet address for the smartphone and vise versa. When the camera connects over the WAN, it is unencrypted. When it connects directly over the VPN it is encrypted. Is the ASUS RT-AC66R firewall sophisticated enough to do what I want?

Greetings!

This is my first post here. Can anyone tell me if it possible to restrict IP cameras on the WLAN/LAN to the VPN exclusively for connections to the internet? I have setup the router and openVPN server. I can access the router web server and camera from the VPN with my smartphone. I can ping the local IP address of the camera through the VPN. The problem is that my smartphone app will connect to the camera even without the VPN. The camera is connecting (P2P) to an Amazon hosted server in Oregon to get the internet address for the smartphone and vise versa. When the camera connects over the WAN, it is unencrypted. When it connects directly over the VPN it is encrypted. Is the ASUS RT-AC66R firewall sophisticated enough to do what I want?

I have it working.

This is on my son's ASUS router. I have a Mikrotik at home. I took a camera home and studied how it was connecting and to what IPs. When I disabled the P2P protocol, the camera quit trying to contact external servers, but the app on my smart-phone went into turbo mode searching all the servers in it's host file.

The router didn't need anymore configuration. I disabled P2P on the camera as well as PnP. I changed the http ports. The app that came with the camera only seemed to work with P2P, so I uninstalled that and downloaded IP CAM Viewer Pro, which I was able to enter an IP address and custom port.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!