What's new

ASUS RT-AC66R vs. RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As for any minor differences, that would have tobe in the firmware as the hardware is identical.
in the firmware, you can freely use the ASUS firmware for either model on either one - thus turning a "R" into a "U" or "U" into an "R"

The firmware is 100% identical in both cases, it won't turn your router into one or another SKU. The ID is stored in just a string stored in the bootloader, which gets shown whenever the webui wants to display the model number.

I forgot to report back on my broken power swith. It seems to be a common issue for Asus routers. I guess they went cheap on these switches and rthey fail often. I found a video on just removing the spring retaining clip for the power button. Then it suggests just pushing the button in and leav it alone. It has been working ever since.

I also found another article that suggest removing the button itself, and just solder jump the pin connections to the on position permanently. Too much work for me and lack of desoldering iron.

Just as a heads-up: the days of U SKUs being identical to the R SKUs might be coming to an end. Based on what I found in recent source drops, the RT-AC5300R will have hardware differences from the current RT-AC5300 SKU. This will confuse a lot of people unless they change to a different model ID before launch time :(

But for now, N66/AC66/AC68/AC87 all share the exact same hardware with both the U and the R SKUs.
Just a heads up on this old post. My old Asus RT-AC66R just died on me and I managed to find the Asus RT-AC66U on clearance at Walmart for $100. I compared them side by side. The name on the front is different as the "U" model doesn't have Asus near the model number (it still has the Gold Asus logo). The only non-aesthetical difference is the power supply, which is larger and a higher amperage than the old "R" model. The newer device has a larger DC input power plug that goes into the router as the one on the old model was very thin and small, while the newer is thicker and longer. Also the transformer that plugs into the wall is larger on the newer "U" unit. And this device (U model) was manufactured in 2016 while my old device (R model) is at least 3 years old

Also the power requirements on the adapters and device are different. The new model "U" requires a higher input voltage 19V 1.75A, while the old model "R" is 19V 1.58A. Also the old power adapter had a blue light and the plug was turned so you could easily put it in a power strip while the new one makes you use the last plug or another outlet. I wonder if this change makes a difference in propagation or signal levels? I replied to you RMerlin as you are the best and I'm running the newest version of your modified ROM on both devices, lol.

Also some numbers on the sticker from the box:

ASUS RT-AC66U
H/W Ver. B1
F/W Ver. 3.0.0.4.378_9533
MFG Year: 2016

I also don't seem to see the option to change the router signal level like I could on the older model but that may be because I installed a newer version of the Merlin software. I remember it use to be a nunber and then later software made it similar to a drop down list or slider. Also you could choose between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz but now I don't see the option anywhere anymore, lol. Maybe it's moved or maybe something else but I'd like to know.

The only thing that bothers me about this device is the bandwidth management. It never seems to hold the data for more than one month in the device memory and always seems to reset itself or something? I want to see my month by month usage amd compare them and it doesn't work, arg. Otherwise the ASUS RT-AC66U is a feature rich, cheap router that has great signal propagation and a great community of modders and users alike.

Thanks for any info you may provide.

I also don't seem to see the option to change the router signal level like I could on the older model

This feature has been removed by Asus from the US products, for regulatory reasons. A few models still offer it, but it looks to be a bug in the disabling code rather than an intended feature, so I'd expect this to also be removed in a future firmware release.

The only thing that bothers me about this device is the bandwidth management. It never seems to hold the data for more than one month in the device memory and always seems to reset itself or something?

Asus's firmware never had monthly data, only daily, up to the last 30 days. Monthly history is a feature I added to my firmware.