What's new

Asus RT-AC66U - CPU limited?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jramskov

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

Current setup:
60/60Mbit fiber based internet.
Asus RT-AC66U router running latest Merlin firmware.
AppleTV 4 (wired through a Netgear 1Gbit switch)
Synology DS-1010+ NAS. (wired through a Netgear 1Gbit switch)
Various laptops and other wireless devices.

I generally have no speed issues and transferring data wireless to and from my late 2013 model 15" Macbook Pro to my NAS is pretty speedy. The current router also generally have enough reach for our little house.
The problem occurs when streaming video on the wired AppleTV at the same time. Looking at the Asus router, the CPU is pretty much at 100% usage when I transfer data to my NAS and my guess is that's what causes problems for the video streaming on my AppleTV.
I would like to fix that issue and I guess there are two options:
1) Buy a new router with a faster CPU.
2) Switch to using a dedicated, more powerful router + seperate WAP.

In regards to option 2, I'm considering the Turris Omnia as router:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turris-omnia-hi-performance-open-source-router#/

The question is what WAP I should go for in that case?

Hi.

Current setup:
60/60Mbit fiber based internet.
Asus RT-AC66U router running latest Merlin firmware.
AppleTV 4 (wired through a Netgear 1Gbit switch)
Synology DS-1010+ NAS. (wired through a Netgear 1Gbit switch)
Various laptops and other wireless devices.

I generally have no speed issues and transferring data wireless to and from my late 2013 model 15" Macbook Pro to my NAS is pretty speedy. The current router also generally have enough reach for our little house.
The problem occurs when streaming video on the wired AppleTV at the same time. Looking at the Asus router, the CPU is pretty much at 100% usage when I transfer data to my NAS and my guess is that's what causes problems for the video streaming on my AppleTV.
I would like to fix that issue and I guess there are two options:
1) Buy a new router with a faster CPU.
2) Switch to using a dedicated, more powerful router + seperate WAP.

In regards to option 2, I'm considering the Turris Omnia as router:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/turris-omnia-hi-performance-open-source-router#/

The question is what WAP I should go for in that case?
Transfer to NAS is from a WiFi device to the NAS which has a wired connection to router or switch?

um have you tried the qos bandwidth limiting feature

if you are hogging all the available bandwidth with the file transfer changing routers wont help
I have it enabled, but must say that I haven't spent time configuring it. As it seemed to me it was for handling the internet bandwidth.

Transfer to NAS is from a WiFi device to the NAS which has a wired connection to router or switch?
NAS and AppleTV is connected to the same 1Gbit Netgear switch. The Netgear switch is connected to the Asus router. Transfer of data is from Macbook pro, wifi connected to the Asus router. When I look at the Asus router while transferring data, the CPU is more or less at 100% all the time. Internet video streaming is well below 10% after the initial load.

As far as the Apple TV you would be better off using 802.ac as the Ethernet port is only 10/100 on the Apple TV 4 so you will get faster speeds with an ac router using 5Ghz.

As far as the Apple TV you would be better off using 802.ac as the Ethernet port is only 10/100 on the Apple TV 4 so you will get faster speeds with an ac router using 5Ghz.
100Mbit is plenty for the ATV4 (especially considering it doesn't support 4K) and I get a more stable/reliable connection using ethernet. WiFi bandwidth is already shared between several devices, adding the ATV4 to the mix is only going to downgrade the performance for everyone using it.

I also used until last week an AC66u, I had no problems with streaming from NAS to ATV4 ( I have the ATV4 connected on wireless, 5Ghz band), I'm also a heavy user, since I'm doing backups or copying some data over wireless in the same time, and the movies are running without any delay (either streaming from nas or from Netflix).

My nas is a Qnap 453a and it had two wired connections to the router.

I also used until last week an AC66u, I had no problems with streaming from NAS to ATV4 ( I have the ATV4 connected on wireless, 5Ghz band), I'm also a heavy user, since I'm doing backups or copying some data over wireless in the same time, and the movies are running without any delay (either streaming from nas or from Netflix).

My nas is a Qnap 453a and it had two wired connections to the router.
It makes no sense to me why it should make a positive difference to have the ATV4 on WiFi instead of wired?