What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.372

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's the other way around. My 372 code is two months old. This release from Asus has much newer code.
So I will just wait for your modding on this new 372.
Yes, I've became a fan :)

New ASUS .372 driver test.
So far my experience with this driver has been negative. I have a certain location that I test from so that I can easily compare changes. Model used is RT-AC66U at 5GHz with a Killer Wireless N 1103 Notebook adapter. Using inSSIDer and downloading from my NAS.
.354 driver Signal strength -48 dBm
.372 driver Signal strength -56 dBm
This signal drop was consistent at other locations in the house. I went back to .354 and the signal went back to -48 dBm. The new .372 driver drops the signal about 8 dBm.
Downloading large 8GB file from my NAS. Version .354 was 24 MB/s, switched to .372 it was 19 MB/s. Tried this 5 times with each build and it was consistent.
Merlin's current 372_2 build performed the same as .354
Note: iPad 2 connects to 5GHz with .354 but will not connect with Asus .372. All three of my kids complained that the Internet was choppy and slow on there iPods and iPhones when I was testing the new .372 driver. When I switch back to .354 or Merlin .372_2 build everything was back to normal.
I recommend staying with build .354 or Merlin build .372_2
Thanks!

Try a different channel for 5GHz, my son is watching some kids show on YouTube with his iPad 2 and the Asus .372 driver right now on the 5GHz radio. I also always wipe nvram whenever a firmware release involves a new driver, sometimes hidden wireless parameters need resetting with a driver update.

Try a different channel for 5GHz, my son is watching some kids show on YouTube with his iPad 2 and the Asus .372 driver right now on the 5GHz radio. I also always wipe nvram whenever a firmware release involves a new driver, sometimes hidden wireless parameters need resetting with a driver update.

Wiped NVRAM between each firmware test. Always standard practice. Already tried 5GHz channels 48, 149 and 161. No go on iPad 2 and 5GHz. May have to reset wireless on iPad. All settings the same between test. Signal is still weaker and throughput is less on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Updating the client list doesn't work at all with the new Asus .372 build, it just hangs on refreshing forever when you hit the refresh button, only a reboot resolves the issue.

Nevermind: Clearing browser cache seems to have resolved the issue.

Last edited:
Wiped NVRAM between each firmware test. Always standard practice. Already tried 5GHz channels 48, 149 and 161. No go on iPad 2 and 5GHz. May have to reset wireless on iPad. All settings the same between test. Signal is still weaker and throughput is less on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

I share the findings in terms of power output although my iPad 2 is fine on 5GHz. Something is worse in the final .372 vs the early access one. I can see this very simply using my WUMC710 bridge which gives a signal quality reading. Put the "beta" 372 on and it reads 50% signal quality...put the final 372 on and it reads 42%. Also, I have found that changing the transmit power seems to be having no effect at all where it did previously.

Nobody has mentioned Beamforming since they added it in this firmware.

Has anyone tried it? How do you enable it? Have you seen any gains in speed/range?

Something wrong with the 2.4Ghz with this version. Poor streaming and low signal and connection speed. Went to Merlins .372 and works much better...

I have been having good success without wiping NVRam. Will give it a try...
Depending on what firmware version you upgrade from should determine if you need to clear your NVRAM, IIRC. If you are going from 354 to 372 then you should be fine. If you are upgrading from any version before 354 then I believe you must clear your NVRAM and manually restore all settings.

I have done an NVRAM wipe. it has made no difference to the signal strength at 5GHz. It is definitely lower with this new .372 update compared to the Beta version. And on top of that, I am not seeing any change when increasing the TX power.

This firmware doesn't resolve data rate/link rate dropping after a day or so on 5Ghz with an USB-AC53 wireless adapter.

I have done an NVRAM wipe. it has made no difference to the signal strength at 5GHz. It is definitely lower with this new .372 update compared to the Beta version. And on top of that, I am not seeing any change when increasing the TX power.
Tx power is over-rated. If you do not have a high-power WiFi adapter to go along with raising the tx power than little is accomplished. That's because the adapter also transmits data to the router. So, unless you can raise the tx power of the adapter its like having a conversation with someone a block apart whereas one has a megaphone and the other whispers.

Tx power is over-rated. If you do not have a high-power WiFi adapter to go along with raising the tx power than little is accomplished. That's because the adapter also transmits data to the router. So, unless you can raise the tx power of the adapter its like having a conversation with someone a block apart whereas one has a megaphone and the other whispers.

This makes logical sense.

But when I've changed the Tx power on the router, I haven't been able to create the "megaphone" effect at all. I've played with it pretty exhaustively, monitoring signal strength in various locations around my house with inSSIDer while changing Tx levels.

I have never seen ANY increase in signal strength when going higher than the default 80 mW on either 2.4 or 5 GHz. I do see signal strength fall when going below 80, though.

So, obviously, I've just left it at 80 mW on both radios.

I have done an NVRAM wipe. it has made no difference to the signal strength at 5GHz. It is definitely lower with this new .372 update compared to the Beta version. .
When you test new firmware specially when there is a newer driver, give it a little time to adjust. Testing the signal strength as soon as you upgraded then downgrading when you don't get what you want is not a true test. From my experience settings don't always happens properly with these routers. You need to keep on tuning the router specially when a new/different driver is introduced. For example, when I updated my N66U from Merlin's .370 to Merlin's 372.2, the router's speed tests were slower by much. Since 270(Merlin's 372 uses 270 wireless drivers) wireless driver is known to work with this router, NVRAM clear, configuring it manually and finally power off/on brought back the performance I expect of the router. Just a note, my only 5GHz Broadcom chip wireless laptop do not have problem with the newer wireless drivers, it actually have a better signal strength than the 270 wireless driver but I follow Merlin where he goes because there are features I like from his firmwares.

What are the exact steps recommended to properly clear the NVRAM? I've encountered a quite detailed (numerous steps) protocol on the dd-wrt site.

Thanks very much!

This firmware doesn't resolve data rate/link rate dropping after a day or so on 5Ghz with an USB-AC53 wireless adapter.

Same issue here with the Netgear A6200 adapter when the router is in router mode, after a while the link-speed drops to 175.5... When I configure it in AP-Mode it seems much more stable and the link-speed stayed at 866.5... really strange that the operation mode is affecting this

What are the exact steps recommended to properly clear the NVRAM? I've encountered a quite detailed (numerous steps) protocol on the dd-wrt site.

Thanks very much!

Personally I always found using the factory reset followed by a reboot in the admin screen sufficient enough. Changing from distro (to/from dd-wrt) requires a little more shuffling of running processes in my experience.

Other way is to power off the router, hold down the wps button and then power it back on, while still holding it for a while.

Same issue here with the Netgear A6200 adapter when the router is in router mode, after a while the link-speed drops to 175.5... When I configure it in AP-Mode it seems much more stable and the link-speed stayed at 866.5... really strange that the operation mode is affecting this

Wow, that's kind of interesting. I wonder if it's a clue for the cause.
Mine also drops to 175.5.

I don't want to use the RT-AC66U as an access point though.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!