What's new

Asus RT-AC66U NTP failure; wrong time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

c3k

Occasional Visitor
Folks,

I've got an Asus RT-AC66U. It has NEVER had the correct system time.

I'm running it in AP mode. However, I would think it should still be able to get/update the actual time. FWIW, it shows 1900 on December 31st, 2010 after any reboot.

No, I'm not an IT pro and am just a home user.

I've just upgraded to firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3626 since the notes in that one (or a previous) mentioned a fix to an NTP link failure.

That hasn't helped.

In Administration/System, the NTP Server has a URL, "ntp1.dlink.com" in it. If I select "NTP Link", a new tab opens up, but always times out, regardless of any URL in the window.

How do I manually set the clock?

How do I set the clock to automatically update?

Yes, I've read the manual...a lot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi,
Also time zone, DST settings.

Thanks, but no joy.

When I change the ntp server to "pool.ntp.net" it will reset to "ntp1.dlink.com" as soon as a I change the view or otherwise unselect the server url window.

The field directly above the ntp server setting is "Time Zone". I have it set to "GMT-5".

The time is still not updating.

Will it update if the router is set as an access point?

Here's an edit:

Looking at System Log/General Log, the system time is Jan 01, 19:04:54 (and counting) 2011. Uptime is 1 day and 5 minutes. (That corresponds with my power cycle for the firmware upgrade.) The system time always defaults to Dec 31, 2010 (see my first post).

The interesting thing is that the System Log has a bunch of reboot stuff and topology entries (I can guess that's while it sets up the wireless networking) which start as soon as it booted up; 19:00:11. However, as of 19:00:42, it has "ntp: start NTP update". It repeats that entry, and nothing else, about every 27 seconds, endlessly.

It seems to be TRYING to update.

My network is:

Cable modem-->Router-->24 port Switch-->stuff on network, including RT-AC66U setup as Access Point

Is this a switching issue, a routing issue, port forwarding or something else?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
There's no DLink setting in the firmware. I suspect your web browser's autofill is playing tricks on you - try a different browser.

There's no DLink setting in the firmware. I suspect your web browser's autofill is playing tricks on you - try a different browser.

If you are using a password manager (LastPass seems popular), make sure you exclude the router address.

...and it's pool.ntp.org, not .net.

You are, of course, correct. I typed it into my AC66's server address correctly, I mistyped when I was responding here.

Thanks.

I don't use a password manager.

The dlink thing: This is INTERNAL to the AC66 settings, before it gets to a browser. (Edited: I just figure that out. I had not pressed the "Apply" button. D'OH!)

However, even with pool.ntp.org set as the ntp update address, the AC66 still cannot update. The System Log shows the same ~27 second cycle of failed "start NTP update".

My Admin/System page:

My System Log:

Last edited:
The dlink thing: This is INTERNAL to the AC66 settings, before it gets to a browser. (Edited: I just figure that out. I had not pressed the "Apply" button. D'OH!)

Once again, no, this is something either you, or your browser had entered there. There is no reference at all to that NTP server in the entire firmware code:

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt $ grep "ntp1.dlink.com" * -rs
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt $

The built-in default values are as follow:

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt.ac56/release/src/router/shared $ cat defaults.c | grep ntp
	{ "ntp_server1", "time.nist.gov" },
	{ "ntp_server0", "pool.ntp.org" },
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt.ac56/release/src/router/shared $

Only ntp_server0 is currently used.

Once again, no, this is something either you, or your browser had entered there. There is no reference at all to that NTP server in the entire firmware code:

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt $ grep "ntp1.dlink.com" * -rs
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt $

The built-in default values are as follow:

Code:
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt.ac56/release/src/router/shared $ cat defaults.c | grep ntp
	{ "ntp_server1", "time.nist.gov" },
	{ "ntp_server0", "pool.ntp.org" },
merlin@mint-dev ~/asuswrt.ac56/release/src/router/shared $

Only ntp_server0 is currently used.

RMerlin,

Thank you. However, I really don't know what the firmware uses. Since the url in the NTP window is, apparently, wrong (and, yes, I've tried to enter several in a vain attempt to get the time updated), what value should be entered in that window?

If I leave it blank, the System Log continues to show "ntp: start NTP update" every 27 seconds, ad infinitum, with no change to the system time.

How can I get this device, connected to the internet, to update its internal time?

Thanks.

Ken

RMerlin,

Thank you. However, I really don't know what the firmware uses. Since the url in the NTP window is, apparently, wrong (and, yes, I've tried to enter several in a vain attempt to get the time updated), what value should be entered in that window?

If I leave it blank, the System Log continues to show "ntp: start NTP update" every 27 seconds, ad infinitum, with no change to the system time.

How can I get this device, connected to the internet, to update its internal time?

Thanks.

Ken

Use the default value I posted from the code: pool.ntp.org

Make sure your DNS are properly configured on the router if it still fails to update afterward. Also note that NTP only works reliably while in router mode. Asus mentions having fixed it in 3606 for AP mode, however their new NTP code will spam syslog with regular restarts of the NTP service.

Use the default value I posted from the code: pool.ntp.org

Make sure your DNS are properly configured on the router if it still fails to update afterward. Also note that NTP only works reliably while in router mode. Asus mentions having fixed it in 3606 for AP mode, however their new NTP code will spam syslog with regular restarts of the NTP service.

1. Using pool.ntp.org does not change the 27 second cycle of hunting for an NTP server. (In fact, you'll see that's what is in the url window in the image I posted upstream. I've also tried "time.nist.gov".)

2. DNS configuration. My AC66 is being used as an Access Point, not a Router, so there is no DNS to setup within the AC66.

3. "NTP only works reliably while in router mode." Ah ha! Well, I'd say it DOESN'T work in Access Point mode.

4. "Asus mentions having fixed it in 3606 for AP mode,...": I am running 3626, newer than 3606, and I can confirm that their NTP code is not working correctly.

At this point, it seems that the fault lies entirely with Asus. Is that correct?

If true, I'll start emailing Asus about this. The access point mode should allow the device to find, and use, the correct time.

Thank you,

Ken

It used to work as expected in AP mode as well, can confirm it with 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5.

My AC66 is being used as an Access Point, not a Router, so there is no DNS to setup within the AC66.

This is most likely your problem then.

As a workaround, you can try specifying the server by its IP instead of its name in case it's just a DNS issue:

Code:

Otherwise, yes, it's most likely a FW issue, not much you can do about it.

RMerlin,

Thanks for posting the IP address. I inserted that into the Administration/System/NTP Server window, Applied the change...and there was no difference to the behavior.

Still showing the wrong date/time, and still "start NTP update" every 27 seconds.

Off to start sending ASUS a request for a firmware upgrade so the device can appropriately set its clock. Maybe I'll send them a message every 27 seconds? ;)

Thank you for your assistance.

Ken

I have the AC56U running the recent Asus 3754 firmware and I keep getting that same entry in the System log. I used to get a different ntp error before the recent firmware upgrade. It's very unsettling as I've always thought it affected VPN client connections.

Is there a way of fixing the NTP issue once and for all? Does Merlin's firware fix it? I only use the Asus in router mode and never use the usb functionality. A stable vpn connection is all I really want. It does stay for around 4 days but it disconnects after a zillion of these ntp entries!

I have the AC56U running the recent Asus 3754 firmware and I keep getting that same entry in the System log. I used to get a different ntp error before the recent firmware upgrade. It's very unsettling as I've always thought it affected VPN client connections.

Is there a way of fixing the NTP issue once and for all? Does Merlin's firware fix it? I only use the Asus in router mode and never use the usb functionality. A stable vpn connection is all I really want. It does stay for around 4 days but it disconnects after a zillion of these ntp entries!

See if the script from this thread helps. It sets up a cron job to update the clock. It updates the time in the same way as the "ntp" process Asus sets up.

The "ntp" process built in the firmware is a very simple but badly coded scheduler to update the clock.

Mr

See if the script from this thread helps. It sets up a cron job to update the clock. It updates the time in the same way as the "ntp" process Asus sets up.

The "ntp" process built in the firmware is a very simple but badly coded scheduler to update the clock.

I too am having the same problem with the messages in the System Log:

Feb 6 07:32:28 ntp: start NTP update

Using the ntp setting:

NTP Server pool.ntp.org
* Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server.

I am running Merlin FW 378.50_beta2 using RT-AC66U.

Is the NTP issue fixable from Merlin at all or is it purely an ASUS design problem?

Jason

It seems your router clock is synced to the right time. Do you see any issues other than the log message may imply something wrong?

I too am having the same problem with the messages in the System Log:

Feb 6 07:32:28 ntp: start NTP update

Using the ntp setting:

NTP Server pool.ntp.org

* Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server.

I am running Merlin FW 378.50_beta2 using RT-AC66U.

Is the NTP issue fixable from Merlin at all or is it purely an ASUS design problem?

Jason

Hey all,

I was getting the same "start NTP update" spam in my syslog too, but I found the culprit in my case and it wasn't the firmware.

Problem was, my rt-ac66, running in AP mode on a static IP behind my piece of junk Comcast modem/router, was working fine as a wifi AP but the device itself couldn't reach the public internet.

Check the Network Tools on your rt-ac66 to make sure you can ping, traceroute, or nslookup addresses outside your local network. Alternatively, use telnet to get on your device and use those tools natively from the command line (works better than the browser interface).

My Comcast modem/router will only serve DHCP addresses up to 10.0.0.99, so I set my rt-ac66 to use 10.0.0.100. Well, lo and behold, the Comcast box also won't let any internal IPs outside range that reach the public internet. So, setting my rt-ac66 to 10.0.0.99, I was suddenly able to ping, nslookup, etc. outside my home!

Also, be sure, if your rt-ac66 is on a static IP instead of DHCP, to set the DNS server to either your ISP's or one of google's free public dns servers (8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4). Otherwise, it won't be able to find any ntp server by name, just IP. It also won't be able to do firmware update check from the Administration page without working DNS.

Once that was fixed, my rt-ac66 correctly set the time and stopped spamming the syslog with NTP messages.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!