What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U total confused - transmission power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StefanMe

New Around Here
Hi, i am Stefan and i read something in this forum about how to adjust the Power of my ASUS Router.

How can i adjust the Transmission power?? At the moment my RT is set to EU (limited to 100mW). I want to upgrade it to 200mW.

I downloaded the latest version for my RT from http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download and try to set this:

nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=US
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=US
nvram set wl0_country_code=US
nvram set wl1_country_code=US
nvram set regulation_domain=US
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=US

Looks like it works until the next restart... but when i try to read the actual transmision power, nothing happens...

nvram get wl_TxPower
nvram get wl0_TxPower
nvram get wl1_TxPower

Do i need another version of Merlin? I used the last Version. Is there a specific tutorial for my router?

THX!

You cannot change the transmission power anymore.
Then what are the "Tx Power Adjustment" faders for under Advanced/Wireless/Professional for? probably attenuators...
I turned my 5Ghz up a notch to "Good" and my 2.4GHz down a notch to "Balance" and coverage in my home between the 2 bands seems much more even now.
Perhaps OP is looking to accomplish something similar.

<EDIT>Given that we are only allowed to adjust power below maximum TX output,</EDIT> if they're looking for greater coverage area, another AP or an extender of some sort, perhaps higher gain/directional antennae, are the way to go.
I put higher gain antennae on a 2.4n AP I use- http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/wifiyagi.htm -and it's ridiculous how far I can walk in my neighbourhood and still be connected to home...sorry neighbours! (actually thinking about adding a 2nd one as well, also with the yagis) My uncle shares his Internet connection with a neighbour 200m LOS across a lake with one of these at the focal point of a parabolic reflector (a wok, believe it or not) and the up/down speeds over at that end (also a wok with this yagi) are still impressive.

The lesson is to point the signal where you want/need it to go, and/or spread it around where you want/need it <EDIT> in other ways than your hardware was originally designed for. </EDIT>

There's a link or two somewhere on here explaining how to set up an "old" router as an AP...because who doesn't have an old spare router kicking around?

Last edited:
Then what are the "Tx Power Adjustment" faders for under Advanced/Wireless/Professional for?
That's not what he was asking. He was trying to increase the maximum output power beyond what the router would normally allow by changing the region code to a different country. It's that ability to change region that has been disabled.

Right. I read into the question a bit deeper; perhaps I shouldn't have. Apologies for not being so literal or specific.
Still, he was looking to do that for a reason. My reply was to show another way of looking at the problem, with possible solutions. I'll edit my post to reflect that.