What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U vs TP-LINK Archer C8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Milken

New Around Here
Hello, I'm new here. I'm going to change my Internet ISP and speed soon (offering 300Mbits).
First of all, I have only few devices that can handle 802.11ac, I want to use that standard for them, but I need internet connection on my other devices at 802.11n. Are these routers capable of sharing 2 networks with different standards?
Secondly, my apartment is quite big (100 square meters), L-shaped and with current router (some terrible device - Thompson TWG870 from ISP) I have really bad to no connection at all, at the ends of the flat (within 10 meters from router). The old router is placed in a commode ((even when it was outside of it, signal was really bad), in the center of apartment , but new one will be placed somewhere on the wall. So getting to the point, i want the router to output a strong signal.
Last but not least, I want to store data, backups on additional 2TB hard drive, connected to the router. I've seen tests of both devices and I know that Archer is faster, but I don't know about it's functionality. I've seen AiCloud from ASUS and it looked quite useful.
Sooo, which of these routers (or maybe sth else) would you recommend for me and why? If you could share some useful informations about them, it would be cool too:)
Thanks in advance

Hi Milken. First off, yes, most every wireless router is capable of bridging any/all wireless and wired interfaces, including separate radios broadcasting both 802.11N and AC standards, into a single network subnet (in simpler terms: all devices can "see" each other, regardless of their way of connecting to that single router -- wired, wireless N or wireless AC). And that's how most consumer all-in-ones are configured by default, so no need to worry there.

To your point on range, if you can swing the extra expense, you might want to consider the AC1900-class: Netgear R7000, Asus AC68U or Linksys WRT1900AC. Any of those will maximize (more or less, the higher level stuff isn't worth the money, IMHO) your chances of seeing whether or not a single all-in-one can cover your whole place. If yes, then you're all set. If no, then it would be time for a second access point -- sometimes there's no substitute for more radios in more places, as opposed to just a single loud radio. Hopefully you could run extra cable, or do AV2 powerline, or MoCa to wire in the second AP. Otherwise a wireless repeater as a last resort.