What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U - what "current" Merlin should I be looking at

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sonicmojo

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I got our ASUS RT-AC66U in fall 2014 and we are currently sitting on Merlin FW 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-01j9527.

This specific FW has been solid - but I am wondering if I need to be a bit more current.

Is 378.55 something that I should consider? Or is there any issues or reasons to either stay where I am or maybe move to another build that is recommended over 374.43?

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers!

Sonic

Hello,

I got our ASUS RT-AC66U in fall 2014 and we are currently sitting on Merlin FW 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-01j9527.

This specific FW has been solid - but I am wondering if I need to be a bit more current.

Is 378.55 something that I should consider? Or is there any issues or reasons to either stay where I am or maybe move to another build that is recommended over 374.43?

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers!

Sonic

There have been some important security fixes since 374.43, so an update to 378.55 is more than advisable. Remember: you will need to restore to factory default settings (factory reset) AFTER the firmware upgrade with such a version jump, and then make whatever settings changes you need. Or use John's utility to restore your settings as you like them.

I'm sure you'll find 378.55 just as solid, provided you reset to factory default. And with a few more features to explore!

There have been some important security fixes since 374.43, so an update to 378.55 is more than advisable. Remember: you will need to restore to factory default settings (factory reset) AFTER the firmware upgrade with such a version jump, and then make whatever settings changes you need. Or use John's utility to restore your settings as you like them.

I'm sure you'll find 378.55 just as solid, provided you reset to factory default. And with a few more features to explore!

Cool.

Where do I find John's utility? I made my changes long ago and certainly will not remember what I did. Would be nice to be able to "reapply" them in one go.

If/when I do go to 378.55 - is there a list of "must make" changes to get the best out of the hardware?

Sonic.

Cool.

Where do I find John's utility? I made my changes long ago and certainly will not remember what I did. Would be nice to be able to "reapply" them in one go.

If/when I do go to 378.55 - is there a list of "must make" changes to get the best out of the hardware?

Sonic.

John's utility is at:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r21.19521/page-16#post-205985

Everyone who's used it raves on it. I haven't used it because I'm not that familiar with all the settings so I like to reset manually just to refresh my memory where everything is (doesn't always work!). And also to discover new changes/features. I take screenshots of every page before I update, so I have a record of my settings.

I don't know of a "must make" list of changes to get the best out of the hardware. I don't think it works like that to be honest. Unlike a list of things you must turn off to speed up Windows. I really don't think you need have any worries there.

Hello,

Appreciate any comments.

Cheers!

Sonic
The other option you have is continuing with my fork code....it's now up to V14 (you're on the first V1 release). Sticky in this forum.

Benefits of your "fork" code vs going to 378.55?

Sonic.
If you have been happy with the code you have been running, this will be more of an 'incremental update' rather than a new code with a larger change to the code base. My fork focuses on known security and component updates, with some new function. Some people find the wireless performance to be better on the older drivers, particularly on the older MIPS based routers. There's a section in the first post of the fork thread that summarizes the differences between the levels.

But in the end, you should update to either one just to catch up on the security issues which have been closed.