What's new

Asus rt-ac68u: GUI not accessible!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bullet_proof

New Around Here
Hi all,

2 days ago I bought the Asus rt-ac68u for my fiber net, and with the installation CD the set-up was easy.
I have set up a home network with a Linksys unmanaged switch for 2 AP (airport express and extreme) and the Sonos system. Everything went smooth until ...
...this morning we didn't have wifi signals. The ISP is fine, checked it with direct connection to my laptop.
Now I was trying to all of this:
- reboot
- reset
- cleaning the RAM
- then I wanted to access the GUI to check the setting, and eventually do a factory reset.
BUT I wasn't even able to get the GUI via direct connection of either of the 4 LANs.
The set up wizard cannot detect the connection although I have the direct line.
So I can't even upload the restore software from the CD.

Did I get a lemon and have to send it back, or does anyone have an idea how to proceed?
Thanks for any inputs!

Are you getting any response in the browser or just a browser cannot connect error?

If you want to bypass any troubleshooting, you can reset the router to factory defaults by powering down the router, holding in the WPS button (right side of router when viewed from the from), then turning on power while still pressing WPS. Continue holding the WPS button until the power LED starts a fast blink. Then release the WPS and the router should reboot. Then you should be able to access the gui initial setup screen at the default 192.168.1.1 address

hi john9527

thanks for your input.
There is no connection to the router address via browser, and the wizard cannot detect any connection to the router. He asks me to check the cables even though the blue LED of the port is on, and I have tried direct ethernet connection on all 4 LANs.
I have also followed your off/on-procedure with WPS (fast blinking) and the reset procedure (slow blinking) with the power LED...still no access to the GUI. It's like the LAN do respond (by the blue port LED) but I cannot open the interface.

And a further problem I was having: The first 2 days when I had internet access to my new giga fiber ISP the down-/upload speed through the router was only about 350 MB/650 MB, nothing compareable to the achievable 900 MB down-/upload speed when connecting my laptop diektly to the SFP media converter.

That's why I came up with the idea that the router is a lemon...

What antivirus software are you running? ESET for example, is known to cause problems accessing the router and needs an exclusion for the router address.

Try disabling your antivirus and firewall to rule those out.

Also, if you recently upgraded to Win10, check that your network type is set to 'Private' and not 'Public'.

Once you get access back, we can look at your speed. In order to get into the 900Mb/s range, HW acceleration has to be enabled (you would check the status on the Tools page). There are some options which are not compatible and will automatically disable the HW acceleration.

I have Avira Free running and no firewall with Win 7 on MacBook Pro.
2 days ago I had normal access through the browser and the CD.
I will turn off Avira this evening and try again.
Thanks.

Fyi, it may not be enough to just turn off Avira. You may need to uninstall it completely to test if this is the issue.

I contacted the Asus techsupport, and the diagnosis was a "lemon".
Fortunately the supplier has a 14 days DOA return policy, so today I returned it and upgraded to the RT-AC87U.
Config was easy this time, I immediately did an update and now also the speed is as expected:

upload_2015-9-4_18-33-8.png

Thank you all for your help!