What's new

Asus RT-AC68U randomly died

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

krak3nnn

New Around Here
For the longest time, my AC68U was running amazingly with Merlin's 378.52_2 firmware but over the weekend, I noticed my connection to the router was dropped. 192.168.1.1 was not pingable and the power LED was flashing rapidly.

After a few power off/on, I was able to get back into the webui but noticed that all the settings were reset (seems like the NVRAM was full). I repopulated all the fields, hit apply and everything seemed to be working. When I woke up in the router was down again with the rapidly flashing power led.

I tried resetting the router by holding the reset button during power-off as well as clearing NVRAM using the WPS button but both methods still result in a rapidly flashing LED.

Have any of you guys seen and issue like this?

Check the power adapter first...

It's the weakest link in the chain...

I finally started finding a cause. I found another thread on DSLreports of a user reporting an issue with the WPS button causing issues. Which in hindsight makes some sense considering rapidly flashing power led is listed in the manual as WPS processing. What was recommended was to push the hell of the button to get it to "release". Strange thing is that the button felt normal, clicks were defined and tactile beforehand but it worked. After a harder than normal push, the router LED status became normal and I was able to recover with a restore flash (slow LED pulse).

With that said, there does seem to be an ongoing issue with my WPS button. Every time the router is powered off, it seems like the faulty button is tripping the WPS NVRAM reset causing me to lose my settings each time. Anyone here run into something similar?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!