What's new

Asus RT-AC68U router - USB ftp advice on security out of the box.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makem

Occasional Visitor
I am using version 380.58_of the firmware for this router and wondering if it would be safe to set up an ftp server using the settings available in the router without further security measures.

I read that no matter what precautions you take it will be insecure. That seems a shame given that there is not much other use for the ports in my case.

Can anyone advise if I am being overcautious?

I am using a xubuntu operating system which apparently is not easy to setup to access the USB anyway.

Unlike the stock firmware, I offer a separate switch that allows you to enable FTP only on the LAN. That should be as safe as you can trust your LAN.

On the LAN you can also use SMB or NFS to access shared content.

I am afraid my title is misleading. I am using your software and meant, using the controls available in that software.

I would be accessing the USB from China and Mongolia over the next three months as an example, not within the LAN. Some of that time it will from my private LAN in China and a lot of the time from hotels, wherever we stop in both countries. It is not essential that I access this data but it would be advantageous, although not if it is a risk.

I gather from your comment that I would be unable to access the USB from the LAN with your software, am I correct?

It has been suggested that I use Tomato firmware of which I have no knowledge as it does allow remote access. I am concerned about using that because, if you have not implemented it then it may, for an average user, be difficult to be secure.

I am afraid my title is misleading. I am using your software and meant, using the controls available in that software.

All I suggested is built-in my firmware.

I would be accessing the USB from China and Mongolia over the next three months as an example, not within the LAN.

Go with a VPN + either LAN-only FTP or SMB, for the most secure setup.

It has been suggested that I use Tomato firmware of which I have no knowledge as it does allow remote access. I am concerned about using that because, if you have not implemented it then it may, for an average user, be difficult to be secure.

Tomato does not offer any additional remote access capabilities over Asuswrt-Merlin. You even have more options with Asuswrt-Merlin, if you decided to use AiCloud, for instance. I'm not sure how secure AiCloud is these days however, so I still recommend going down the VPN router instead. OpenVPN is very secure.

I will go with your suggestion. Setting up vpn looks quite complex, can you point me to instructions or a manual for your software?

My first attempt hangs waiting for server.

I may have found some.

Nope, software to old.

Last edited:
What software is old? You mean FTP Server?

The guidance I found related the asuswrt firmware 3.0.0 if I remember correctly, not the current firmware. My apologies, I should have said firmware, not software.

I will go with your suggestion. Setting up vpn looks quite complex, can you point me to instructions or a manual for your software?

My first attempt hangs waiting for server.

I may have found some.

Nope, software to old.

Check on the OpenVPN server page, there's a link to a FAQ on Asus's website with instructions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!