What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U vs ASUS RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshing

Occasional Visitor
I need some help in trying to decide between these two wifi routers, ASUS RT-AC68U or ASUS RT-AC87U.
Since the prices are fairly close, do you just go with the newer ASUS RT-AC87U which has the higher specs?

I'm looking for three main factors: range, reliability/dependability, and speed.

I cut the cord and got a Android streaming TV device for my TV but it wouldn't stream so I needed to move the router and modem from my office to near the TV to get it to stream TV programs. But, when I did that, now the desktop in the office can't connect to the internet.

Its clear to me that I need a new router with a stronger signal, strong enough to send wifi signals to the Android TV device downstairs and desktop computer upstairs. The problem is that this is a large house and the office and TV downstairs are on opposite ends of the house. Do you know if one or the other has a range strong enough?

I'm also looking for reliable, something that won't always need to be reset or break down after a few years. And, it looks like ASUS RT-AC68U is more reliable, correct? ASUS RT-AC68U gets 4 stars on Newgg while ASUS RT-AC87U only gets 3 stars on Newgg. And, the professional reviews for the ASUS RT-AC87U is more lackluster compared to ASUS RT-AC68U.

I know there were there some firmware issues with ASUS RT-AC87U that were fixed but it seems even with the new reviews that there still more problems with the ASUS RT-AC87U.

The ASUS RT-AC87U was the first 4X4 router with more complexity with new technology like MU-MIMO so I'm wondering if it makes it more likely to have problems since there are more things to go wrong. And, like cars, should you stay away from the first year or model of new technology because they haven't worked out all the kinks yet?

From the specs, the ASUS RT-AC87U has higher speed in 5GHz. But, my devices aren't that new to take advantage of that faster speed for 5GHz. The Android streaming box is new, but its only 802.11 n. So, the speed for the 2.4GHz becomes more important. Since my desktop is so far away, I'm assuming it'll need to connect to the 2.4GHz.

Is the ASUS RT-AC87U faster too for 2.4GHz than the ASUS RT-AC68U? The specs say that they can both reach 600 on the 2.4GHz, but is the ASUS RT-AC68U slower because it can only reach those speeds if the receiving device has a TurboQAM chip and most things won't have it?

The AC68U is a pretty good device for Asus, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The 87U - mixed bag, for some it's been troublesome, for others, it's been ok.

The RT-AC68U (and it's little brother the RT-AC56U) is highly recommended over the RT-AC87U for your 'three main factors: range, reliability/dependability, and speed'.

You may need both models above and possibly with multiple RT-AC56U's used as an AP to provide a better signal on the other floors. If you can wire the main router to the AP's, that would give you the most stable and reliable network. The RT-AC56U can be found at $50 on sale.

If you have access to BestBuy, the BB exclusive RT-AC1900P is being offered for a small premium over the RT-AC68U (with which it shares firmware with, including RMerlin's firmware and forks thereof), but it offers the latest 1.4GHz dual core processor too. :)

While the RT-AC87U may prove to be a good or even a great unit in your particular network environment, there is more than a good chance to also prove the opposite. Why take a chance when there are other and better choices to be had?

I have both, and unless you have clients that specifically support the added speed on the RT-AC87U, the RT-AC68U is your choice here. The RT-AC87U has gotten a pretty bad reputation due to shoddy firmware upon release and then problems with the 5 GHz radio. Both seems to be fixed in the newest firmwares made available the last few months, but no way I can recommend it over the RT-AC68U.

-KJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just like L&LD mentioned, I have the same setup in my home. I have the RT-AC68P from Best Buy as my main router and a RT-AC56U set up as an AP and both units running on RMerlin's FW. I get plenty of throughput and reliability. Also, if possible, all things that you can "hard wire", do so...

Thanks everybody for your help. I got the Asus rt-ac68u as suggested instead of the rt-ac87u.

Unfortunately, the signal was not strong enough. Sometimes, I couldn't connect. Other times, I could get wifi to the upstairs desktop. Even then, it was slower to watch videos. It would take longer to start the video and if you wanted to jump to another point, then you need to wait for it to load.

The problem is that I cannot move the router in a more central location inside the home because the router is wired to the android streaming device which is then wired to the tv. There is probably interference from how close the tv is to the router. But, if I move the router off tv stand to center of room, then there are all those wires that you might trip over.

I thought about using my old router and converting it to an access point. Is there any reason why to use thr rt-ac56u as an aces point and not some other router?

But, my issue is how you connect the access point to the new router. It would be a really long and unsightly wire all across the house to do that.

The RT-AC68U (and it's little brother the RT-AC56U) is highly recommended over the RT-AC87U for your 'three main factors: range, reliability/dependability, and speed'.

The little brother the RT-AC68U is the RT-AC66U and i would buy that one instead, but thats my opinion.

The little brother the RT-AC68U is the RT-AC66U and i would buy that one instead, but thats my opinion.

No, the RT-AC66U is just a first generation AC class router based on the hardware from the now old RT-N66U.

The RT-AC68U and the RT-AC56U share the same hardware. With the RT-AC56U featuring internal, and one less, antennae. Otherwise, identical.

The RT-N66U and the RT-AC66U cannot offer the performance that the dual core, and higher clocked, processor models can (by a long shot, imo).

Just buy a solid Qualcomm Atheros (QCA) radio based router such as the Linksys EA8500. I used to have a Asus AC87R and it was buggy as hell, replaced that with the Asus AC68U and whilst the bugs were gone the coverage was more or less the same as the AC87R. Got a EA8500 in the end and this gives far better wifi coverage than both Asus models without any of the bugs. You can even load DD-WRT on it to get most/all of the Merlin fw features.

Micro center near me has the AC87u (factory refurbished) for $149.99 which isn't bad. I'm thinking of getting it to add to my network as an AP with the AC68R upstairs. Then I can run Merlin as set the RSSI so when I roam it will disconnect from the weaker signal.