What's new

Asus RT-AC68U Wireless range / Tx Power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ctrlz

New Around Here
My old Plusnet standard issue Thomson TG582 was showing signs of dying so I've upgraded to the RT-AC68U (Merlin 378.55 firmware).

Pretty impressed in most respects, other than the fact that the wireless range on the 2.4GHz band doesn't seem much better than the old Thomson unit.

I've moved it around a bit and to be fair it's much better in its current position. However during the course of trying to figure the problem out, I connected to the router via SSH to check the Tx power of the unit. I found that it's transmitting at 15.5dBm (about 35mW), which seems low to me, although I'm sure it doesn't account for gain from the antennae.

So I checked the region of the device and found that it's registered as "DE (EU/13) GERMANY". I live in the UK and I believe we have the same law around maximum signal output so I guess this shouldn't matter.

Can any other AC68U owners in the UK confirm the signal strength of their device (telnet / ssh in and run wl txpwr_target_max)? Just want to make sure I haven't been sold short!

Interesting, thanks for the pointer!

I did try a manual method of achieving the same thing based on an old post on this forum. My throughput went through the floor though when I tried it, even if I set the tx power to 15.5dBm, supposedly the same as it is now.

I will give it another go though seeing as someone has kindly rolled all the necessary changes into a firmware update :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!