What's new

Asus RT-AC86U and Plex incompatibility ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sela69

New Around Here
Hyia all,

I've installed my brand new Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin 384.6 replacing my Netgear D6400/AC1600.

I'm facing a strange issue : I can't connect to my local plex server on my local network. I've tried to connect from android TV, from my Amazon Fire Stick and from my laptop. I can't even cast from server to chromecast device. They all are Wi-fi devices (both 2.4 and 5 ghz).

The server is a W10 PC connected to the router (wired connection), no firewall for private network. I don't know where to start because is local network and where I'm supposed to look for ?

Thanks in advance.

Hyia all,

I've installed my brand new Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin 384.6 replacing my Netgear D6400/AC1600.

I'm facing a strange issue : I can't connect to my local plex server on my local network. I've tried to connect from android TV, from my Amazon Fire Stick and from my laptop. I can't even cast from server to chromecast device. They all are Wi-fi devices (both 2.4 and 5 ghz).

The server is a W10 PC connected to the router (wired connection), no firewall for private network. I don't know where to start because is local network and where I'm supposed to look for ?

Thanks in advance.

Did you double check the W10 firewall after you installed the new router? Often times Windows will detect a new router, consider it a different network, and switch the PC back to being on a public network with a full firewall.

Did you double check the W10 firewall after you installed the new router? Often times Windows will detect a new router, consider it a different network, and switch the PC back to being on a public network with a full firewall.

My thoughts exactly. It probably put the computer on an "Unidentified Network" which in turn makes it a public computer which in turn blocks all incoming traffic, even remote desktop. So yeah, that's probably what happened. :)

I did the check but I'll try disabling the local firewall. BTW I'm able to acces to the W10 from remmina and also to access to this PC shared folders.
I've also realized that there are Plex issues caused by "DNS Rebinding protection" that I've not enabled in the settings ... I'm using Google DNS. I'll keep on searching ...

I also have a 86u plus run Plex on a Raspberry Pi which i use to watch movies on a PS4 plus a couple of other TV's in the house over WiFi also a iPad and not had any problems, not changed any settings within Merlin plus worked fine with stock

FWIW I’m also running an 86U on Merlin 384.6 and Plex Server on a MacMini, with no issues accessing it internally or externally with iOS (Apple TV4K and iPads) or Android (Shield TV) devices.

I’d also be fingering your Windows setup ...

Sometimes you need to shut down the network and the pc's then restart.

Every now and then things can get confused between the pcs' and the leases they been handed out if there a equipment change.

Now It does work. What Did I do ? Simply switched W10 network connection to "public", then to "private" again, then I restarted the PC.

Thanks again for helping me.