What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U vs DSL-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scalage

New Around Here
Having a hard time deciding between these two routers. I've actually just received the AC86U and from what little I've done with it, it's been fantastic (currently only in repeater mode as I need to grab a standalone modem, can't bridge the ISP supplied router). The 86U and 88U are the same price and appear to have nearly identical specs, except the 88U has a better 2.4GHz channel and a built in modem, 86U has a better processor. I guess what I'm trying to ask is - why would anyone go with the 86U, what advantage does it have over the 88U?

Obviously I've already got the 86U and there's probably something to say for a 6 month newer product, though it would be a bit more convenient to have an all-in-one package with the 88U.

If I'm to go with the AC86U, I'll need to get a modem. From what I've read (in the UK) it's best to get a HG612 from eBay. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is there anything to be said for a D200 or DrayTek Vigor?

TBH I would stick with the 86U if you're happy with it, also don't forget being a standalone router it will allow you to stick third party firmware on it - which I don't think is possible on DSL-xxxxx variants.

On the other hand, if you're short of space then go for the DSL-AC88U as it also has a vdsl modem built-in. IMHO the Asus DSL-AC88U, Netgear D7800, Billion 8900AX and TP Link VRX2800 are the top combined modem/routers in the UK, any of these will give you top class performance on a FTTC line.

As for which vdsl2 modem to use (if you stick with the 86U), the Huawei HG612 will be a good choice as will the Draytek Vigor 130. Both are top class modems.

Cheers for the reply.

There's a DSL-AC88U in amazon warehouse for £9 cheaper than I paid for the 86U, I might have a punt at getting a further reduction in price which would offset the cost of a modem, otherwise I'll stick with what I've got.

I don't know if you've got any info on it, but I found that the MT992 supports Gfast and is backwards compatible with VDSL2. It's allegedly what BT are putting in their next gen home hub, just wondering if it's even possible to get your hands on one at this stage. Otherwise I guess I'll be ebaying a HG612.

EDIT: No dice with Amazon over the 88U and I can't find an MT992 anywhere online so I've gone with a HG612 from ebay.

Last edited:
I tested the AC3100, AC86U, and AC68U against each other for wifi performance. The AC3100 definitely has a better 2.4 GHz radio that provided better 802.11N transfer speeds for large files (but not large amounts of small files), while the AC86U won the 802.11AC comparison for its better performance at long range. Since I put all my high speed devices on AC only now, and because the AC86U has a much better processor and VPN performance, it won the comparison, at least for my needs.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-vs-ac3100-vs-ac86u-wifi-testing.43055/

That is massively helpful, thanks for the feedback from both of you.

I've actually got another post that's pending (I'm guessing due to a hyperlink) - but I've decided to stick with the AC86U and there's a HG612 modem in the mail. I was wondering whether there was a way to get my hands on an MT992 modem (if they even exist) but I'll cross that bridge when I need it, probably in a good couple of years from now!

TBH, even if you can get hold of a MT992 right now, I would stay away from them as they're a bit of an unknown beast on FTTC lines and could easily mess up your sync rates - being banded by DLM being one of the biggest fears. Once they're out in the wild and feedback is positive, only then buy the MT992. In the meantime the HG612 is a rock solid vdsl2 modem, you won't be disappointed!

Yeah that makes sense as well. I just don't understand why Openreach/BT don't just sell brand new HG612's on their website for like £50. There seems to be a big enough market for high end wireless routers and it seems more and more ISP provided router+modem combos are getting bridge mode locked off. There's literally people who's eBay accounts entirely deal with used modems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!