What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary Key

Official ASUS Representative
Good Day,
The official first public release - 3.0.0.4.376_1779 - is now or will shortly be available for update via the Firmware Upgrade option under the Administration tab. Most of the US servers now offer the upgrade and the balance of North America and other regions will have the update available by tomorrow. The support site will be updated by Monday.

I will post stable betas in this thread as they become available.

Sincerely,
Gary

Update 12/17/2014 - Beta Release - Build 3562

Beta Release - Build 3562

1. This is not on the support site and servers for auto update.
2. Download here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2xQ5benV_uQUs0QVd5dnBwQ2c/view?usp=sharing
3. Short Fix List
Fixes:
[update] Latest Quantenna SDK v36.7.0.31 to resolve OSX 10.10 5Ghz compatibility issue.

[update] openssl 1.0.0o

[update] support Korea power table (5G wireless)

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF880

[update] usb modem: support Royaltek Q110

[update] usb modem: support ZTE MF823

[update] usb modem: update the QMI procedure

[Update] update FAQ link

[Update] Add alert on progressing bar while DUT fw upgrade in progress

[bugfix][bwdpi] fix bugs

[bugfix][USB] fix UI issues

[bugfix] fix IPv6 related issues

[bugfix] fix minidlna related issues

[bugfix] fix IGMP related issues

Update
1.Expect public release in early Q1.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary.

I'll make this thread sticky for a while. Folks: please try to keep discussions on-topic - the RT-AC87U firmware. I'll move the unrelated posts to a separate thread to keep things clean.

Good Day,
The official first public release - 3.0.0.4.376_1779 - is now or will shortly be available for update via the Firmware Upgrade option under the Administration tab. Most of the US servers now offer the upgrade and the balance of North America and other regions will have the update available by tomorrow. The support site will be updated by Monday.

I will post stable betas in this thread as they become available.

Sincerely,
Gary

Hi Gary am having difficulties updating to the latest firmware I keep getting a message that asus router Connot access server. Is it because servers aren't 100% up yet

This is what it keeps saying every time I try to update

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 904
i think i found a small bug with the official firmware, when you first started the setup and following the setup wizard to change the password, even though i did changed but when every done its saying that my password still the same.

Asus please add function to save your settings then apply once everything is done, this 87r router take too much time on booting and not just that whenever i apply one setting it'll reboot, in order to complete the setup i don't even know how many i have to reboot the router.

Asus please add function to save your settings then apply once everything is done, this 87r router take too much time on booting and not just that whenever i apply one setting it'll reboot, in order to complete the setup i don't even know how many i have to reboot the router.

Sounds to me like something is wrong. I haven't had to reboot at all. Maybe try to restore and see if this continues to be a problem?

Sounds to me like something is wrong. I haven't had to reboot at all. Maybe try to restore and see if this continues to be a problem?

to be clear about my previous post, while when i apply the setting then the spinning circle appear telling me to wait but all the lights cycle seem to me exact how the router boot sequence and timing.

A lot of the times the router isn't fully rebooting, it's only restarting services.

Just storing values in nvram without immediately restarting services could lead to unforeseen consequences, as the router would have no idea what values would be applied, and which wouldn't be yet. For instance, if the router has to configure the firewall with certain rules because OpenVPN was enabled, then it would check the nvram value, see OpenVPN enabled, and fail as it tries to configure the firewall for it since the tun interface wouldn't exist yet.

I think you are misunderstanding what firmwares such as DD-WRT do (if you are referring to how this one operates). The main difference between applying and saving is that the first one immediately applies the settings, restarting all associated services. The saving option merely writes those settings back to nvram. This is done so if you make a mistake while configuring something and you only applied it, a router reboot would allow you to revert back to your previous configuration.

A lot of the times the router isn't fully rebooting, it's only restarting services.

Just storing values in nvram without immediately restarting services could lead to unforeseen consequences, as the router would have no idea what values would be applied, and which wouldn't be yet. For instance, if the router has to configure the firewall with certain rules because OpenVPN was enabled, then it would check the nvram value, see OpenVPN enabled, and fail as it tries to configure the firewall for it since the tun interface wouldn't exist yet.

I think you are misunderstanding what firmwares such as DD-WRT do (if you are referring to how this one operates). The main difference between applying and saving is that the first one immediately applies the settings, restarting all associated services. The saving option merely writes those settings back to nvram. This is done so if you make a mistake while configuring something and you only applied it, a router reboot would allow you to revert back to your previous configuration.

thanks, but i also own the ac68u and it doesn't this long, i know the complication design of this router consider two different chips, i just feel that its take to long to apply setting before you can move on to the next page or category, or else it won't save.

thanks, but i also own the ac68u and it doesn't this long, i know the complication design of this router consider two different chips, i just feel that its take to long to apply setting before you can move on to the next page or category, or else it won't save.

The RT-AC87U should only take longer in scenarios requiring an actual reboot. The rest shouldn't be any longer than it was on other router models.

The RT-AC87U should only take longer in scenarios requiring an actual reboot. The rest shouldn't be any longer than it was on other router models.
OK I'm a hypocrite. After saying I wouldn't upgrade I went ahead and got the AC87R. The reason? Better range as my daughter's room is a troublesome dead spot after seeing reports of improved range over the AC68U. So far so good. Performance in both bands seems better but we shall see. As for the flashing/apply settings issue I can also attest to the fact that the AC87R is noticeably slower than the AC68U. It is not as slow as the N66U but it isn't a heck of a lot faster either.

We officially released an updated firmware package for the RT-AC87R router today. This is firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2044 that includes GUI updates, minor bug fixes and general performance enhancements over the first release 1779 firmware. This firmware will be available via the update function within 24 hours. You can download it now at - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17612062/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376_2044-g338a0a0.zip .

We will have another public release firmware late next week (if quality testing passes the current beta) that incorporates Quantenna’s performance pack firmware for additional 5GHz throughput and range.

One additional note about this new firmware: it should also resolve issues people were having with VoIP when enabling Intrusion Detection.

Can the updated firmware be flashed in top of the previous build without a factory reset, or is the recommendation to do a full factory reset?

Can the updated firmware be flashed in top of the previous build without a factory reset, or is the recommendation to do a full factory reset?

I flashed it over without resetting...it works perfectly. No GUI issues like before..

adaptive qos seem like it working better too.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!