What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For what it's worth I'm not sure if the firmware is necessarily to blame here - I have zero PS4 lag on any firmware (Asus or Merlin's) with NAT acceleration on over WiFi even.

You most likely have a good ISP, as for me I know mine is not great so I see things way before you would or never would notice .

But I had now 2 of these 87's and a friend that lives in my town with the same ISP has the same issue , I put dd Wrt on and no problems at all , on both .

So conclusion is the obvious , asus firmware .

@sentinelvdx
To use the mentioned features you need to enable the AiProtection. It's the Trend Micro DPI Engine that does all the work to present those data. Therefore your 'not working' report is invalid.

Really? It worked for you? I'll give a try later and post it here

UPDATE: with AiProtection on it's working. Thanks!

Last edited:
So conclusion is the obvious , asus firmware .

Not obvious at all - if this were the firmware's fault, this would be a much more widespread problem. Since other routers share the same NAT module (RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200) there should be issues on all routers and there simply isn't.

I think there are other factors at play here which go beyond the scope of the firmware.

Not obvious at all - if this were the firmware's fault, this would be a much more widespread problem. Since other routers share the same NAT module (RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200) there should be issues on all routers and there simply isn't.

I think there are other factors at play here which go beyond the scope of the firmware.
Indeed, not likely a firmware issue as correctly reported this code is shared across many models.

Signature Fix

I have turned AiProtection on, but signature still stuck at 1.010

After a ton of trial and errors here is the fix:

Select the Trend Micro Icon in the Router
Enable everything
Check signature (will change to 1.3)
Go back to the Trend Micro icon in the Router
Disable everything.
DONE

Signature 1.3 sticks.

CC

Not really, I have it ON and it is still reporting the wrong number... possibly just a GUI problem.

Well, I must say that in my particular case it worked after enabling AiProtection.
I don't like that, but it works...

Nope that does not work here, turn OFF, waited for 10 minutes, turned ON... signature always the same.

EDIT: Resetting fixed the issue for me, now I am on 1.030.

Last edited:
After a ton of trial and errors here is the fix:

Select the Trend Micro Icon in the Router
Enable everything
Check signature (will change to 1.3)
Go back to the Trend Micro icon in the Router
Disable everything.
DONE

Signature 1.3 sticks.

CC

Click on trend micro icon? Where is it?

Where

Click on trend micro icon? Where is it?

Log into router, on left click on AiProtection, then enable everything, then check the signature, after verifying its 30 then go back to the AiProtection and disable all options (if you want to) The signature will stay.

CC

Log into router, on left click on AiProtection, then enable everything, then check the signature, after verifying its 30 then go back to the AiProtection and disable all options (if you want to) The signature will stay.

CC

tried and it still stays the same at 1.010. well, i think i shouldn't spend too much time on this. haha

Please watch out that in this firmware version (3.0.0.4.378.4376) the URL/Aiprotection (Malicious Sites Blocking) is COMPLETELY BROKEN. :eek::eek:

Please watch out that in this firmware version (3.0.0.4.378.4376) the URL/Aiprotection (Malicious Sites Blocking) is COMPLETELY BROKEN. :eek::eek:

Hi,

How do you know? Do you have any example, some sites or something that Malicious Sites Blocking should have blocked?

Yes of course, tested with malware distributing websites and they are blocked with previous firmware and NO reaction from current firmware. I have reset to factory several times to be sure its not something local.

I can provide examples but I guess posting links to malware is against forum rules. Malc0de website is a good source for links that are (were) blocked by trend :)

The URL/Aiprotection feature if fully broken in this firmware version. Rather a serious issue for users that turned it ON and think they are protected. :eek:

Here you have another user reporting the same (in another security related forum): http://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...-still-need-an-av.371643/page-10#post-2464496

Last edited:
Yes of course, tested with malware distributing websites and they are blocked with previous firmware and NO reaction from current firmware. I have reset to factory several times to be sure its not something local.

I can provide examples but I guess posting links to malware is against forum rules. Malc0de website is a good source for links that are (were) blocked by trend :)

The URL/Aiprotection feature if fully broken in this firmware version. Rather a serious issue for users that turned it ON and think they are protected. :eek:

Here you have another user reporting the same (in another security related forum): http://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...-still-need-an-av.371643/page-10#post-2464496

Hi,

Thank you very much. I turn Malicious Sites Blocking on for 1 hour ago, so i'm gonna test it later on my AC87U. :)

Considering that 68U, 78U and AC3200 share the same code it may be an issue impacting on several ASUS products.... :eek:

I don't know what's up with the Trend Micro engine, but for the past week nothing from it works correctly for me. Even reverting to firmware versions that previously worked is having no effect. Makes me wonder if maybe the latest signatures pushed by Trend Micro might be broken, since older firmwares don't work either.

For me this manifests as all traffic no longer being classified by the engine, and all coming up as "General".

For me this manifests as all traffic no longer being classified by the engine, and all coming up as "General".
Uuuhm, classification seems at least to work fine here tough I would have preferred the URL/Aiprotection to work instead :).
This is only after having reset to factory defaults with the latest official firmware in fact before it was all "general" as you report.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!