What's new

Asus RT-AC87U as AP or Netgear EX7000 as AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quique

New Around Here
Hello,
First at all, sorry about my english. It is not my first language.
I have the Technicolor TC7230 wireless router (provided by the internet services company). Internet 50/5MB HFC.
The internet company configured this router to be impossible to exchange it for another or to work as a bridge.
The wifi have some issues, specially on the 5ghz band and also I live in a big house and I do not have signal in some parts of it.
I want to improve my wireless connection (quality and range) so my choices are the Asus RT-AC87U router and use it as an AP or the Netgear EX7000 and use it as an AP (not wireless extender)
I must say that I can not put Ethernet cable around the house or put the device in any other place than next to the router (my wife does not like to see gadgets anywhere).
So the Asus will give me extra range and speed as an AP than the Netgear? or should I stick with the cheaper EX7000?
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.

You only need a ASUS RT-AC68U as AP NO need for the Netgear EX7000 right now to see if it works for you.
If your wife dont like cables you can use Homeplugs/Powerplugs

large

ximg_54f25d3fe046f.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.ocwzyYIXtw.png

Last edited:
+1 , the rt-ac68u set to its access point mode will increase your signal coverage , you will get no extra benefit coverage wise going with the 87u over the 68u

that is if the local wifi environment and construction materials of your house arnt working against you

just connect the 68u and set it up in access point mode and disable the wifi in the isp unit

if you still find issues with coverage you can do as pege63 suggested and look at power line adapters to help you place the router in a better location

Hello,
Thank you for your messages.
I think the homeplugs/powerplugs do not work for me. I live in a 4 storey house and each floor has its own breaker. I read that in this case powerplugs do not work properly, am I right?
Here in Spain the building materials are pretty solid (bircks, cement, concrete) so I need the gadget with the best range. I will stick with the Asus AC68U and save some money if you say that it will give the same range than the AC87U but it will also give the same range than the EX7000 (next to the router as a AP not like a wifi extender)?
Thank you again.
Regards.

You say you live in a 4 story building, but are all 4 level floors yours?
Or each story floor has its own apartments with there own fuse box?

A solutions is to have the RT-AC68U on the middle floor and use one off this AP on topp and bottom floor https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/, wath do you say pete?

Last edited:
Hello pege63,
thank you for reply.
Yes, the 4 levels are mine (basement, main, 1st, 2nd) that is why I need the gadget with the best range.
As I say in my first message, the problem is that I have the router in the main floor and I can not move it or place other gadget in any other place of the house. I actually get signal in most part of the basement and 1st floor (and all main floor of course). Nothing in the 2nd floor.
So what should I buy to place next to the router and get the best range/speed: rt-ac68 or ex7000?
Powerplugs will not work, right?
Thank you again.

What I would have done is to pull a cable through the ventilation pipe if it is possible to do for you,.
I'm no expert on WIFI but I do not think you earn anything if you put it by the side of the router.

There are long-range AP like this that could be a solution for you https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

Wait for a answer from pete on my thinking is right for you, am NOT a WIFI expert