What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U Frequent 5GHz Disconnects - Solution Found

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boykin

New Around Here
I have been having a problem with wireless AC (5GHz) band disconnecting about every 10-30 seconds. I discovered that I could change the wireless mode from Auto to N Only and the channel bandwidth set to 20 MHz and the problem would go away. I have been running test to see if I could get the Auto wireless mode to work again. I set the channel bandwidth to 80 MHz and I found that any control channel above 48 would cause the 5GHz to go down in about a minute. Once I set the control channel to 48, I got a stable connection. I have been streaming HD video from my surveillance cameras at 4250 kb/s for about 40 minutes and have had no drops. I have not tested any of the other control channels. Once I found one that worked, I stopped. Intel's wireless software is reporting that I am getting 866.7 Mbps with this setting.

I hope this can help anyone else with this problem.

Tried that already and made sure to try again to confirm on my N66U as bridge.

It seems like the disconnections are much shorter, as in net still works, but when I run pingplotter, I still have a good 5% packet loss.

Try manually setting the control channel to a channel below 48. Try each one to see if there is one that you get better results on. I have my RT-AC87U set up as a router and I could only stay connected for about 10-30 seconds on the 5 GHz before the connection would drop. It did this on all of my wireless AC devices. No problem on 2.4 GHz devices. Once I manually changed the control channel from auto to channel 48, it fixed my problem. I have not used any diagnostic software to see what kind of packet loss I am getting, but I can stream HD video with no hang up.

and I could only stay connected for about 10-30 seconds on the 5 GHz before the connection would drop.

this is not the problem most of us are having with this router. I get drops a half dozen times a day and they persist for three or four minutes as if it is a heat issue

I haven't seen anything that would point to heat related issues, just a lot of talk on these forums that the chips in this device run hot. Which is fine as far as I am concerned if they are running with the manufacturer specifications. Unless someone can prove me otherwise...

I haven't seen these weird disconnect issues, but I always manually set the frequency for my wireless so that I can pick part of the spectrum that isn't being used by neighbours.

Out of curiosity what software releases are you running?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!