What's new

Asus RT AC87U high CPU load downloading torrents

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

for pfsense the CPU use depends on throughput. If you dont need gigabit throughput you can go with intel ATOMs but i suggest avoiding the celerons. Make sure the system doesnt use realtek NICs. Intel NICs are the best throughput wise. If you use an i3 or higher CPU you can use more features such as deep inspection, antivirus if there is any and such. For AMD the issue isnt their CPUs but their chipsets all have realteks.

I believe the CPU load is because it has to handle storage, firewall and torrent client at the same time. I wouldnt say you have 100% CPU load, rather 75% but it appears that some program is using too much CPU just for listening or performing a task which the data gets dropped consistently (this could be for uploading where the torrent client is trying to push more data through than your internet allows). For example mikrotik's benchmark program will use all the CPU available even if the bandwidth used is below the full capacity of the CPU because without speed definitions it will try to spam as many packets as CPU allows but the NIC can only handle so much because it exceeds the wire capacity.

Try see if you can configure your internet speed settings somewhere in the router and make sure the torrent client uses it.
The problem was as you explained, I turned on QOS and specified my internet bandwidth and the problem is gone now I only get 8 mostly 24 cpu load on 1 core. Thanks again