What's new

Asus RT-AC87U OpenVPN speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bottleneck being elsewhere than at the CPU level on download. Could be related to NAT acceleration perhaps, I don't know.

Yes, I switched off NAT acceleration after reading elsewhere it made a big difference for someone. unfortunately it didn't for me. I suspect it has to do with the modem in front of the router. Thanks to my provider (and unasked irreversible firmware updates) I am unable to set the mode of the modem. Do you reckon this could be causing NAT/routing issues which slows things down?

What I find weird though is that uploading is not affected and loads the core 100%....

Yes, I switched off NAT acceleration after reading elsewhere it made a big difference for someone. unfortunately it didn't for me. I suspect it has to do with the modem in front of the router. Thanks to my provider (and unasked irreversible firmware updates) I am unable to set the mode of the modem. Do you reckon this could be causing NAT/routing issues which slows things down?

What I find weird though is that uploading is not affected and loads the core 100%....

In 380.58, you should no longer need to disable NAT acceleration. However the OpenVPN traffic gets marked so it will bypass CTF.

When dealing with a VPN tunnel, you have many different levels of bottleneck, including the remote end of it. The total speed will always be only as fast as the slowest link in the chain, and if that link is slower than the router's CPU limit, then you will see a lower top CPU load.

Another possibility would be that encryption is more CPU-intensive than decryption.

I am running 380.59_beta2 on rt-ac88u

I only get ~400KB/s when NAT Acceleration is ON
But I get ~6+MB/s when NAT Acceleration is OFF

This is all through OpenVPN and the only setting I am changing is the NAT Acceleration.

Is there any way we could get a patch in the future so that we can have NAT Acceleration enabled and have fast OpenVPN throughput?

This is all through OpenVPN and the only setting I am changing is the NAT Acceleration.

Is there any way we could get a patch in the future so that we can have NAT Acceleration enabled and have fast OpenVPN throughput?

I've done what I could already. Since only Broadcom knows what CTF actually does and how it works, not much else that can be done.

Try switching to TCP if you were using UDP - CTF's UDP support has often been quirky (not just for VPN usage).

do you get this results by testing in your Gigabit LAN, or over Internet -connection speed?

Hallo Everyone,

After two of trial and error I manage to get maximum from my Asus RT-AC87U which is:

PING: 44ms
JITTER: 2ms
DOWNLOAD: 56.3Mbps
UPLOAD: 11.2Mbps

It is important to note that I have internet O2 Package in Germany with speeds 50Mbps/10Mbps, and I used the Server in Serbia (Which not most optimal server to use, because of distance) with UDP connection configuration from Nord VPN.

On my RT-AC87U I installed the last version of firmware, at this time, Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13_10. The framework can be found here: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

Installing framework was super easy, just upload the file in "Administrator" -> "Firmware Upgrade".
To set up the firmware you can find on official website on Nord VPN here: https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047410642/AsusWRT-Merlin-setup-with-NordVPN.htm
PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL CAREFULLY!

After setting everything in "VPN Client" I set the "Inbound Firewall" to "allow". After that I set in "Wireless" -> "Professional" everything to "Disabled" except the "Explicit Beamforming" and "Universal Beamforming" for 2.4 GHz network.
1645252912798.png

Also in "WAN" - > "NAT Passthrough" I set all "Enable + NAT helper" to only "Enable", like so:
1645253166688.png

After this is done then I overclocked my Asus router using instruction from here: https://www.lurch.uk/2018/03/overclocking-asus-dsl-ac68u-or-rt-ac68u/
But shortly you need to, in "Administrator" - > "System" set the SSH connection. After that connect with "Kitty" software via SSH connection and use the commands.
Here is copied text if the link does not work:

The Asus DSL-AC68U router is a very capable router with built in ADSL and VDSL modem, even though people tend to prefer the RT-AC68U due to the ability to Flash it with custom firmware such as the Merlin firmware. This can’t be done to the DSL model due to the modem drivers, but it still very capable, and even with the official AsusWRT firmware you can still tweak and change things, just requires making changes via SSH.

If you’re like me you make use of the OpenVPN client built into the router so that all your traffic goes over a VPN. Depending how much traffic you generate and the speed of your connection you may see your CPU regularly maxing out one of it cores, or your connection not being as fast as expected. To potentially improve this it may be worth overclocking the CPU on your router.

In order to do this, we assume you have a reasonable technical understanding, and that accept the risk that may end up breaking your router, the steps will also potentially void your warranty.

First you need to ensure that your router has SSH enabled. This is under “Administration” in the Web GUI and recommend set it to LAN only.

Once SSH has been enabled you need to connect via SSH. If using Windows you can use PuTTY or Kitty to connect to router.asus.com or the IP of your router if your DNS doesn’t go via the router. If you’re using MacOS or Linux then you can ssh using the ssh command in the Terminal supplied with the OS.

First thing we will do is double check the current speed. We can tell the speed from the BogoMIPS that get reported from running the following command.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

This will return something like the following.

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 1595.80

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 1595.80

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

As the BogoMIPS is roughly double the Mhz of the CPU we can tell from this that the CPU is around 800Mhz.

If you want to check on the temperature before you change anything then you can run the following.

cat /proc/dmu/temperature

On mine it returns around 78C.

Now the part you’re interested in. There is discussion around the net on the best speeds to set, but the fastest and safest combination personally have found is CPU to maximum of 1200Mhz and Ram to 666Mhz. Some say that Ram can go up to 800Mhz but seems to vary on a number of variable factors so best to stick to 666Mhz for the least chance of issues and bricking your router. The 3 commands you need to run are the following, the third one reboots the router, so make sure nobody is doing anything important on your connection at the time.

nvram set clkfreq=1200,666
nvram commit
reboot

After a couple of seconds your SSH session will end and you’ll need to wait for your router to back up. Once it’s completed log back in the router again and check the CPU information again.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

This time your BogoMIPS should hopefully of increased like the following.

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 2398.61

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 2398.61

Features : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x3
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 0

Hardware : Northstar Prototype
Revision : 0000
Serial : 0000000000000000

Immediate things you may also notice is that the routers Web GUI also feels slightly more responsive.

It may also be worth monitoring the temperature of the router for a while by running cat /proc/dmu/temperature to see if there is any increase in CPU temp. Mine still operates around the same temperatures as before overclocking though have ordered a fan kit which I will test once it arrives to see if cooling would also improve the performance incase auto throttling of the CPU is taking place to keep the temperature around 78-80C.

1645253514069.png

For the test I used my 5GHz wireless network, which important to note!!! Because the 2.4 GHz network is yielding only 20Mbps/10Mbps
Screenshot_20220219-074652_Chrome.jpg

And that is all, you can notice that the router cores are getting capped during the test, meaning this is really the maximum!
1645253818550.png

I hope, I helped somebody out there. :)