What's new

Asus RT-AC87U - What Tx power "Power Saving", "Fair", "Balance", "Good" and "Performance" mean?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mare007

New Around Here
RT-AC87U, Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13_10

Does anybody know what do theese 5 settings of Tx power adjustments "Power Saving", "Fair", "Balance", "Good" and "Performance" mean in mW or dBm?

Mare

Last edited:
Transmitting power put into the antenna letting you transmit wireless data faster and further. This is only for sending a signal to your wireless device, your wireless device may not have the same range sending its own signal for the router to receive. Also more power transmitting slightly increases hardware temps of your antennas and potentially CPU lowering its life span over time, especially in hotter climates.

Transmitting power put into the antenna letting you transmit wireless data faster and further. This is only for sending a signal to your wireless device, your wireless device may not have the same range sending its own signal for the router to receive. Also more power transmitting slightly increases hardware temps of your antennas and potentially CPU lowering its life span over time, especially in hotter climates.
My question is, what does "Power Saving", "Fair", "Balance", "Good" and "Performance" mean in mW or dBm?

"Performance" = 100 mW? or maybe 80 mW?
"Good" = ??? mW
"Balance" = ??? mW
"Fair" = ??? mW
"Power Saving" = ??? mW

Or theese words mean "dinamic Tx power shemes", ... tx power varrying all the time (dependig which sheme is set), depending on signals strength?

Just leave it at performance then you get the full legal output for your region. Many people say adjusting it really don't make much of a difference and question if the slider even works.

My question is, what does "Power Saving", "Fair", "Balance", "Good" and "Performance" mean in mW or dBm?

"Performance" = 100 mW? or maybe 80 mW?
"Good" = ??? mW
"Balance" = ??? mW
"Fair" = ??? mW
"Power Saving" = ??? mW

Or theese words mean "dinamic Tx power shemes", ... tx power varrying all the time (dependig which sheme is set), depending on signals strength?
I just did a test using my RT-AX58U while monitoring it's signal level with Ubiquiti's WiFiman on my Android phone. Going from "Performance" to "Power Saving" the received level went 9 dBm down.