What's new

Asus RT-AC87U with UBEE EVW32C HG Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JovanJox

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,
I have an issue regarding these devices. My UBEE HG is working on 5GHZ network, and I connected it via Ethernet cable to Asus router in AP mode. They work on the same ssid, but from time to time, connection seems to stop when I am connected to Asus. It happens for 5-10 seconds and then everything goes back to normal. What could be the issue? I have tried to decrease beacon to 50, I have turned off the network on UBEE, but the problem remains. I have put the new merlin and the problem is still there.Anyone has any advice? Thanks a lot.

SSID confusion. Your device(s) are switching between routers. Use different SSID for one router.

SSID confusion. Your device(s) are switching between routers. Use different SSID for one router.
Note that I revised my initial reply.

...but from time to time, connection seems to stop when I am connected to Asus. It happens for 5-10 seconds and then everything goes back to normal.
Using different SSID:
  • Does this issue occur with all your devices?
  • Are your routers using different 192.168.0.0 networks? They should.

Note that I revised my initial reply.

Using different SSID:
  • Does this issue occur with all your devices?
  • Are your routers using different 192.168.0.0 networks? They should.
Yes, happening an all devices. One is 0.1, other one 0.25!

Yes, happening an all devices. One is 0.1, other one 0.25!
You may want to check the CPU and memory utilization of the RT-AC87U to make sure the router is not using excessive amounts of either. The system log may also provide helpful information.

If you were able to obtain a WiFi monitoring tool, like 'WiFi Explorer' for a Mac, you may visually see an issue. Here is a capture of mine:
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 11.42.21 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 11.45.56 AM.jpg

My ASUS in the top chart is the yellow on the right and the one with the highest amplitude on the left.

You may want to check the CPU and memory utilization of the RT-AC87U to make sure the router is not using excessive amounts of either. The system log may also provide helpful information.

If you were able to obtain a WiFi monitoring tool, like 'WiFi Explorer' for a Mac, you may visually see an issue. Here is a capture of mine:View attachment 15106
View attachment 15107
My ASUS in the top chart is the yellow on the right and the one with the highest amplitude on the left.
So now I tested, it stopa working on Iphone, but continues on mac. And vice versa. The cpu and memory are ok.

So now I tested, it stopa working on Iphone, but continues on mac. And vice versa. The cpu and memory are ok.
So your saying that the issue is just with two Apple products and that the issue is that both cannot be on WiFi at the same time?

So your saying that the issue is just with two Apple products and that the issue is that both cannot be on WiFi at the same time?
No, it happens intermittently, the internet connection stops for few seconds and then if I reload the page it is back on. I tested with various phones, problem comes and goes. Sometimes everything works, then stops for few seconds, then back on,

No, it happens intermittently, the internet connection stops for few seconds and then if I reload the page it is back on. I tested with various phones, problem comes and goes. Sometimes everything works, then stops for few seconds, then back on,
Now that you have two different SSID in your home network, go into the advanced network settings for your Mac, the WiFi section. Make sure your SSID of choice is on top, removing the SSID of the other router completely. Next we need to create a lot of traffic. So start the terminal app and ping a website about 10,000 times using long packets. Advise.

What makes this really hard to diagnose is not knowing what other WiFi and their associated channels are at your location. WiFi Explorer or something like that would have been nice.

Now that you have two different SSID in your home network, go into the advanced network settings for your Mac, the WiFi section. Make sure your SSID of choice is on top, removing the SSID of the other router completely. Next we need to create a lot of traffic. So start the terminal app and ping a website about 10,000 times using long packets. Advise.

What makes this really hard to diagnose is not knowing what other WiFi and their associated channels are at your location. WiFi Explorer or something like that would have been nice.

So, I put my wifi on clean channels, that is ok. I did 10000 pings with 5000b packages, this was result:
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

10017 packets transmitted, 10008 packets received, 0.1% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.118/29.240/514.869/34.435 ms

So, I put my wifi on clean channels, that is ok. I did 10000 pings with 5000b packages, this was result:
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---

10017 packets transmitted, 10008 packets received, 0.1% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 16.118/29.240/514.869/34.435 ms
Don't care about packet loss or round-trip right now. Question is: Did the WiFi drop?

No. The wifi never drops. There is just a blockage of internet - browsing stops for 5-10 seconds.
  • Don't use the default setting on the ASUS for DNS. Use Google DNS or Open DNS IP addresses.
  • Is the pause in browsing with the Mac on WiFi or Ethernet? If WiFi, can you attach Mac using Ethernet and disable its WiFi to see if there still is a pause.

• Don't use the default setting on the ASUS for DNS. Use Google DNS or Open DNS IP addresses.
  • Is the pause in browsing with the Mac on WiFi or Ethernet? If WiFi, can you attach Mac using Ethernet and disable its WiFi to see if there still is a pause.
So as my router is in AP operating mode, I plugged the lan cable from Ubee HG to the router lan port, not wan. Is that ok? I changed lan dns server 1 to 8.8.8.8 and 2 to 8.8.4.4. Is that ok?

When I connect to the same network on UBEE HG everything works flawlessly. I have no lan port on computer, but on wifi on the HG it is all ok.

So as my router is in AP operating mode, I plugged the lan cable from Ubee HG to the router lan port, not wan. Is that ok? I changed lan dns server 1 to 8.8.8.8 and 2 to 8.8.4.4. Is that ok?

When I connect to the same network on UBEE HG everything works flawlessly. I have no lan port on computer, but on wifi on the HG it is all ok.
Assuming that the UBEE is directly connected to your internet ISP, an Ethernet cable should be used from a LAN port of the UBEE to the WAN port of the ASUS.

Your DNS IP addresses are perfect.

Assuming that the UBEE is directly connected to your internet ISP, an Ethernet cable should be used from a LAN port of the UBEE to the WAN port of the ASUS.

Your DNS IP addresses are perfect.
Update: Situation is a bit better, but still not perfect. The conflict definitely seems to be in the UBEE HG. I called ISP, they are sending me the Cisco epc3928. I hope it will solve the issue.

Update: Situation is a bit better, but still not perfect. The conflict definitely seems to be in the UBEE HG. I called ISP, they are sending me the Cisco epc3928. I hope it will solve the issue.
Having worked with Cisco products for many years, I can say that their products are generally a level above most everyone else. Please update us.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!