What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U - the proper option?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anon404

New Around Here
Hello,

i run the following setup at home
Thomson THG571 (cable modem)
Linksys e4200 (router)
ASUS EA-N66 (one floor below router for living room pc)
200Mbit down / 10Mbit up cable con

The Linksys e4200 is running hot even if not much traffic is generated. I did not check the exact temps, but i can feel the temp on top. With the summer coming i would like to replace the device to prevent ping spikes, etc.
The Thomson modem has already failed after three months and got replaced. It comes preconfigured by my ISP. I doubt that there is an alternative i can choose. My plans are currently to add a 120mm fan on top (pull) to make it run stable during summer time.
The „IT-Room“ in our home is directly placed under the roof. We are not able to move the equipment. My wife and myself are playing mostly online games (battlefield series, etc.) and have friends coming over. Therefore there can be four or more ppl connected via ethernet to the router and playing battlefield at the same time.

It would be great to receive a few recommendations in my search for a new router. I made a list of necessary criteria i would like to have covered.
- wifi hardware switch
- dual band (2.4 / 5 Ghz)
- one or two usb ports to attach a usb-fan mod (for the thomson modem next to it)
- proper thermal design (ventilation wholes on top, not only at side/buttom)
- 8 port integrated Gigabit Switch
- enough power to handle upcoming traffic.

The only conclusion i was able to find directly on the end consumer market was the ASUS RT-AC88U. now i have three points left on which someone in this forum might be able to provide Feedback about the asus or an alternative.
- support for alternative firmwares (DD-WRT, etc.).
- Ability to manually lower the wifi signal strength if the new device is to powerful.
- active cooling pre-equipped with low noise. (gave up on this one…)

Alternatively an AP could be hooked up to a 8 Port switch/router? Would anyone have suggestions for this scenario?

Looking forward for feedback.

Linksys e4200

the main issue with the e4200 is its an all marvell chipset design well at least the V2 model is , if your lucky enough to have the v1 model its broadcom

the downside with the v1 is its slow cpu 533mhz and 64M ram

the v2 has a 1.2ghz cpu and 128M ram

i think the heat issue are around the v2 model

etherway i would replace it

however i dont think you need the expense of the 88u

Alternatively an AP could be hooked up to a 8 Port switch/router? Would anyone have suggestions for this scenario?

when this would be cheaper and achieve the same ends

esp if you can run ethernet down stairs and put the ap in there replacing the ea n66u

you could then run 2 asus rt-ac68u + switch , one upstairs as the main router and one downstairs in ap mode

attach a usb-fan mod (for the thomson modem next to it)
suggest you dont do this and just get a wallwart with usb on it to power the fan