What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U with symmetric 1Gbit/s connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elelias

New Around Here
Hi,

I got myself 1Gbit/s download/upload and I'm using a brand new ASUS RT-AC88U. However, I'm running speed tests and I see results which are far from the promised performance. Example:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5305585555

I read somewhere that this may be related to NAT acceleration, but as far as I can see, this is enabled:

(http://imgur.com/ERc6ASM)
ERc6ASM

Does anybody have a piece of advice that could help me out?

EDIT: As it turns out, the fact that the download/upload is not symmetrical seems to be laptop-specific. The speeds is still not great (450 Mbits/s) but at least that means that the symmetry is not a router issue.

Last edited:
Try a test without ASUS router first (with your ISP device) and check the speed.

Try a test without ASUS router first (with your ISP device) and check the speed.

Thanks for your answer. I don't know what you mean by ISP device? I have a TP-Link Media converter where I connect my fiber cable. I then connect my router to Media converter. I don't think I can do without the router! Does it make sense?

Sorry, kind of a newbie to this world.

I got myself 1Gbit/s download/upload and I'm using a brand new ASUS RT-AC88U.

now just to let you know there isnt a domestic router available that will do 1GIG in both directions and not even one that comes close

far from the promised performance.

now where did you see anything that promised wan to lan and lan to wan at that speed ?

now if you see tims charts over at the web site

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

these are pure throughput with no router functions enabled , once router functionality is re enabled you will get no where near those figures and at 600Mbps download your doing pretty well

so whats the answer

downgrade your plan to 500/500 and save your self some money

This is not in the US. This is in Switzerland.

Example: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZekEgFWIAAng0P.png

that would ether bethe fiber service connected directly to a computer or something like a soho router , it doesnt matter where you are in the world the logic and the throughput dont change , you are not going to get anywhere near your plan speeds with a domestic router and its limitations no matter the brand or price you pay

Last edited:
still not 1 gig though

plus its still not going to give him the 1 gig in both directions

942.81 down, 941.90 up. Close enough. Even if that isn't concurrent speeds.

That's pretty good considering overhead...

Yes, very good for a mere consumer product, even at these elevated prices vs the previous router generations.

Some fiber technologies that are marketed as gigabit are truly 940 Mbps. This is the case with Bell's FiberOp for instance, which is actually 940 Mbps / 100 Mbps. I suspect that's the case with Viewquest's service. So the bottleneck is most likely not the router, but the service.

So lucky to get 1Gb/s symmetrical, i have a router thats ready for 10Gb/s symmetrical and where i am would probably be decades before 1Gb/s even comes.

When you say symmetrical it means both upload and download. Many ISPs are stingy on the uploads and dont tell you unless you see the small numbers on the specs. Even on LAN there are overheads so the best you should expect is above 900Mb/s. If you want to make the most of it try a symmetrical test of both simultaneous upload and download. Whether you see 1Gb/s or 900Mb/s depends on where you're looking, is it the data transferred or NIC/interface traffic? usually when i benchmark i look at the interface traffic as it tells a different story but windows doesnt easily show bidirectional traffic percentages. During a benchmark if the server isnt limited your interface traffic should show 2Gb/s for simultaneous if you have symmetrical 1Gb/s. Same with wifi, you can see up to 80% or more of wifi traffic on the interface but the amount of data transferred would be less than that.

So lucky to get 1Gb/s symmetrical, i have a router thats ready for 10Gb/s symmetrical and where i am would probably be decades before 1Gb/s even comes.

I live in the 50/5 Mbit ghetto and pay a lot for it - talking with friends in Japan (home of the 10 second cars), they get silly bandwidth for a quarter of my cost....

gah!!

What's funny though - quantifying my network usage - the 50/5 MBit connection isn't that bad for general usage - work from home, not a serious gamer or torrent user - evening stream a bit...

status_rrd_graph_img-2.php.png