What's new

ASUS RT - ACRH17 AC1700 or Xiaomi Mi R3P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mountainking

New Around Here
Hi guys. Fantastic forum. Been lurking for some time soaking in all the information I can get about routers and my connection issues. Finally found decent deals on these 2 products.
I'm not sure if I can post link of buyers here so I will just post the official products links. Which one would you recommend and why?

My main goal would be to have a decent wifi connection around my house and any additional features such as limiting wifi access, parental controls etc would be bonus.
Thanks guys!
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-ACRH17/
https://www.mi.com/miwifihd/specs/

The RT-ACHR17 is an odd product. It has tri-band components and a four-stream 802.11ac radio but it only supports dual-band and only advertises three-stream 802.11ac speeds. It is not supported by Asuswrt-Merlin and likely never will be.

The Xiaomi MiWiFi HD R3D seems to use high-end Qualcomm chips while the Xiaomi MiWiFi Pro R3P uses cheaper MediaTek chips. quad-stream MediaTek products have been reviewed well enough here to consider buying one but I don't have any hands-on experience with either to know how the features compare. If the RT-ACHR17 is running a version of ASUSWRT that isn't too crippled, it should have decent controls available. Considering hardware alone and assuming the price is similar, I'd probably go with the RT-ACHR17 since it technically matches the four-streams at 5GHz of the MiWiFi Pro but has the familiarity of ASUS.

Thanks for the reply.
The Xiaomi r3P (non HD) is costing me $71 while the Asus is costing me $90. I saw the ASUSWRT features and man its amazing...
I think I could get some of it via the Xiaomi Wifi app. So why is the Asus hardware better? Because of the CPU?