What's new

Asus RT-ACRH18 $40 60% off?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ceop

New Around Here
Couldn't find any threads on its performance. The RT-AC66U had tons of threads, and the RT-ACRH18 is just a "tier" below ($99 msrp vs $89), but the RT-ACRH18 is 4 years newer. Does anyone know if the model is prone to any issues, or if it will last a good 10 years?

Looking for a sub $50 router to replace my 2012 Belkin which finally kicked the bucket. Any advice is appreciated :)

Attachments

• Comparison.PNG
    Comparison.PNG
    221.8 KB · Views: 32

The RT-ACRH18 is a Mediatek based device. Never going to be more than mediocre.
Both are long in the tooth and AC routers will not be getting support for much longer.

You'll certainly need to update before 10 years is up.

Looking for a sub $50 router to replace my 2012 Belkin
You seriously expect a sub $50 router to last more then 10 years ?

Any advice is appreciated

From the two above RT-ARCH18 (also called RT-AC65) is the newer technology device (released in late 2020) with perhaps better Wi-Fi range (up to 966mW output on 5GHz as per FCC). I had one TP-Link model with the same MediaTek hardware and it was excellent for the price. RT-ARCH18 also has better chances of some support in next few years. You replace the router when it becomes a security risk - unsupported for a long time. RT-AC66U B1 is still supported, but based on much older 2013 technology and at the end of usable service life. Good luck.

You seriously expect a sub $50 router to last more then 10 years ?
With a bit of elbow grease, sure. My current one was about that price. The wireless capabilities tapered off 5 years ago but it works just fine with an Ap. The dashboard has become unresponsive though, despite my efforts at resuscitation. Also, it's an $89 router ;)

From the two above RT-ARCH18 (also called RT-AC65) is the newer technology device (released in late 2020) with perhaps better Wi-Fi range (up to 966mW output on 5GHz as per FCC). I had one TP-Link model with the same MediaTek hardware and it was excellent for the price. RT-ARCH18 also has better chances of some support in next few years. You replace the router when it becomes a security risk - unsupported for a long time. RT-AC66U B1 is still supported, but based on much older 2013 technology and at the end of usable service life. Good luck.
Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what was the model of the Tp-Link?

With a bit of elbow grease, sure.

No. What you are looking at is all entry level devices losing support fast and turning potentially into security risk.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the model of the Tp-Link?

TP-Link Archer C80, currently $49 on Amazon USA. The same class hardware and price device like RT-ARCH18 above.

No. What you are looking at is all entry level devices losing support fast and turning potentially into security risk.
Hmmm. For security, would you say it's better to rotate entry level devices every 3 years-ish, or invest in a router that will likely have 5+ years support?

It's a matter of personal preference, I guess. Home Wi-Fi routers are disposable devices. No one can predict how long the device will be supported. In most cases you can count on few years. You can gamble with higher class device or get a new shiny one mid-range every few years. It's up to you.

Ok, so I started reading down the router security rabbit hole. Using this thread as a security scenario: If I were to buy a budget router, and the router has an active exploit, I would
  1. Not be able to know about it, since the router is not capable of running any monitoring software?
  2. Would continue to run said software, until the company releases a firmware update and the exploit is patched out?
  3. If my router is no longer supported, it would run the software forever?
Belkin never announced eol support for my router that I know of, but its last firmware update was 2016. Is it standard for manufacturer's to announce when they are going to drop support for a product?

Yes to all 3 questions, in theory. Your Belkin may have been compromised for years without you knowing.

Big name manufacturers usually announce EOL status on the product page or in a separate list. Please excuse Belkin. They were EOL as a company few times in last 10 years or so. Today Belkin alone (subsidiary of Foxconn) compared to TP-Link or Asus is what an ant is to an anteater.