What's new

Asus RT-N12E: SSL_error_rx_record_too_long

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nearen

New Around Here
Hi folks.
I need some help with my Asus RT-N12E. It's not a new device, I found it among some of my other stuff. The problem is I've configured it and all, plugged the Ethernet cable into the WAN port, then connected the router to my PC and all seemed fine. Windows detected the network, but when I tried to open any website the only thing that showed up was a message: SSL_error_rx_record_too_long. I've tried many things, like restarting it, a factory reset didn't help either. I've noticed two strange things: date on the router is set to March 2nd 2017 and it won't change no matter what I do, and secondly, after each factory reset the router seems to work fine as long as during the resetting process everything is disconnected, BUT it gives out really strange addresses, like 10.6.0.1, etc. and on top of that you can't access the configuration manager. Then it goes back to its previous state after a restart.
Do you have an idea how can I fix it ? I could really use a working router :/

It would appear that the router doesn't have a working connection to the internet. Factory reset it and set it up again, but this time do it with the WAN port connected to an internet feed.

It would appear that the router doesn't have a working connection to the internet. Factory reset it and set it up again, but this time do it with the WAN port connected to an internet feed.
Thanks for the advice. It seems it wasn't clear enough but by "Ethernet cable connected to WAN" I meant it is connected to the internet feed. Sorry for the misunderstanding,

Thanks for the advice. It seems it wasn't clear enough but by "Ethernet cable connected to WAN" I meant it is connected to the internet feed. Sorry for the misunderstanding,
It sounded like you configured it first and then connected the WAN cable (e.g. an offline configure). I just wanted to be clear that you need a working internet feed connected to the WAN port before you power the router on (after a factory reset) and go through the Quick Internet Setup procedure.

The March 2nd 2017 date is the default date of the the firmware from when it was built. The fact that it doesn't correct itself via NTP is another indication that the router doesn't have a working internet connection. What kind of internet connection do you have, cable modem, ADSL, PPTP, etc.?

Make sure that Advanced Setting > Administration > Operation Mode is set to "IP Sharing mode (Default)". [It's sometimes called "Wireless router mode" depending on the firmware version.]

Last edited:
It sounded like you configured it first and then connected the WAN cable (e.g. an offline configure). I just wanted to be clear that you need a working internet feed connected to the WAN port before you power the router on (after a factory reset) and go through the Quick Internet Setup procedure.

The March 2nd 2017 date is the default date of the the firmware from when it was built. The fact that it doesn't correct itself via NTP is another indication that the router doesn't have a working internet connection. What kind of internet connection do you have, cable modem, ADSL, PPTP, etc.?

Make sure that Advanced Setting > Administration > Operation Mode is set to "IP Sharing mode (Default)". [It's sometimes called "Wireless router mode" depending on the firmware version.]

Okay, so here's what I did: I restored default setting using the ASUS configuration manager- didn't help; I made sure the setting you mentioned was set to "IP Sharing mode". Then I unplugged everything, once again restored the default settings, connected the WAN, connected my PC to port 1, used 30/30 method to hard reset it. The router started to work, or so it seemed. BUT not only the wi-fi wasn't working (the SSID wasn't showing up on any device) but also I couldn't access the router configuration page, neither by going to http://router.asus.com nor by manually connecting to its IP, which changed btw from 192.168.1.1 to 10.6.0.1.

Okay, fixed. I just cloned my MAC address, it seems it was my ISP after all :D
Thanks for your help !

Glad you got it working. For future reference, the 30/30 reset is a DD-WRT thing and isn't applicable to AsusWRT (and you just risk going into rescue mode by mistake). To do a factory reset just press the reset button for 5 seconds whilst the router is already powered on and running.