What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's either this router is terrible or the Padavan firmware. I always have to reboot the router once awhile because the ping just keep on spiking up after a long usage.

I have experienced the same thing.
Additionally I found the Parental Control feature fails on Saturday for some reason and blocks the designated user.

Hi guys,

I am new here. Just replaced my 5 years old Linksys WRT54G2 by the Asus RT-N56U and it seems it's a huge improvement of my networks. Still on original firmware (3.0.0.4.374_239), but it seems everything working ok, so still don't now if to move on custom...

Right after installing had the problem with the moving big files ant torrenting (wireless dropping), but find out this is Asus :D laptop wifi adapers fault - reinstalled driver (older :confused:) and now no droppings.

Having a few questions
1. Can't find how to block posibility to enter the web GUI by wireless. Is it possible? Linksys had simple option to check "restrict entering web GUI by wireless".

2. Download Master seems not very fast? utorrent on PC able to download up to 10 MB/s, although DM varies from 1 to 4 MB...but as I understood in overall DM sucks in that?

Thank you.

Latest ASUS update for the N56U is this:
ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561

Security related issues:
1. Force changing FTP from anonymous to account mode after firmware upgraded.
2. Patched IPv6 user interface from Merlin's build.

UI
1. Fixed IE and Firefox compatibility issues.
2. Network map will show notification when newer firmware available.

Latest ASUS update for the N56U is this:
ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561

Security related issues:
1. Force changing FTP from anonymous to account mode after firmware upgraded.
2. Patched IPv6 user interface from Merlin's build.

UI
1. Fixed IE and Firefox compatibility issues.
2. Network map will show notification when newer firmware available.

I'm still on the 1.0.1.8t firmware. Do the 3.0.0 versions of the firmware do anything to improve the wireless signal performance/strength?

RT-N56U Problem

Yesterday I bought this router , hoping that would be better. I ran the configuration as shown , but it was very slow. It took so long , that i waited 2 hours on a step , and it was still saying that it does something. What i mean is the configuration was simple , but it took a very long time. After that it searched for firmware updates. It was stuck at 0% for 1 hour , then i closed it. Finally after that i could acces the internet , and it seemed to work fine. I wanted to search a little bit around the settings , but going through the menu is very slow.

Summary : It is working very slow in the menu , but internet and WIFI works like a charm. Why is the interface so slow ? my internet and computer are pretty good so it shouldn't handle any problems. My Firmware is now the latest (3.0.0.4.374_5656)

Please tell me how to fix its slugishness in the menus , it is very annoying.:mad:

Use a different browser.

Hmmm.... wired or wireless?

I am using Padavan's '.82 firmware on my customers RT-N56U, so not familiar with how the Asus firmware should be acting.

Possibly try Padavan's firmware as a check to see if it is the hardware or not.

I have also a RT-N56U and i will test this custom firmware but on the download site i see different builds. How can i see which build i need?

Make sure to change to list view on that download page and in my case, I selected the RT-N56U_3.0.3.8-081_base.trx file.

Have been using it for months without issues at a couple of customers locations (and I did briefly try the newest ones but they needed rebooting to keep performance up).

With the v82 and v83? drivers I had tried, the router needed to be rebooted to offer the performance it was capable of.

Without rebooting, the whole network was slow and everything lagged - from the internet connection to the access of other computers on the LAN.

Unsticking this thread since it's a 4 years old review, and people are using it as a support thread nowadays - which is probably not a good idea.