What's new

ASUS RT-N66 web interface is broken: no images loaded

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Financisto

New Around Here
Hello!

I have a problem with the web interface on ASUS RT-N66: the page is only partially loaded (no images at all, I can't see values I've written in fields). Java console in Chrome says that any image could not be found.

The problem is known on asus forum, but there is no working solution yet (I also don't have any strange characters in computer name):
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.asp..._id=11&model=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&page=2&count=15

Firmware now is 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 (Merlin build), there is the same problem on previous firmwares. On other computers interface is OK.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Try disabling your security software. There is a known issue with recent versions of ESet's security software and at least one other manufacturer's software.

I also had problems with Asus router having asked Firefox to "store data for offline use". That messed up the web display until I cleared cache.

Try disabling your security software. There is a known issue with recent versions of ESet's security software and at least one other manufacturer's software.

Thank you very much! It was Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10. And it has to be completely unloaded, switching off features won't help (firewall, web-antivirus etc).

Thank you very much! It was Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10. And it has to be completely unloaded, switching off features won't help (firewall, web-antivirus etc).

Damn. Another one to add to the list, after Eset NOD32 and Bitdefender :/

I wonder what these are doing that doesn't play nice with the router webui.

See if it has any kind of exclusion list to tell it to not analyze traffic going to your router's IP.

Interesting, I'm using Nod32, latest version (7.0.302.26), on 64-bit Windows 8.1, and no problems on Chrome with images or anything else in the RT-N66U admin web GUI. No exclusions needed Guess I'm just a very lucky person, maybe it's time for me to buy a lottery ticket?

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm using Nod32, latest version (7.0.302.26), on 64-bit Windows 8.1, and no problems on Chrome with images or anything else in the RT-N66U admin web GUI. No exclusions needed Guess I'm just a very lucky person, maybe it's time for me to buy a lottery ticket?

I don't think NOD32 has the protocol filtering that's affecting the webui - it's probably just in their Smart Security suite.

I don't think NOD32 has the protocol filtering that's affecting the webui - it's probably just in their Smart Security suite.

Ah, okay, I've never been fond of the full "security" suites. You do usually end up having to adjust them so that they don't bother other software that you want to use. Using a good antivirus/antimalware program (like NOD32) and an antimalware scan (like malwarebytes) along with a normal OS firewall has been fine for me for lots of years now. And being observant and careful with what I do on the internet *smile*. Very occasionally I've had to do something with the OS firewall, but that's been unusual.

Ah, okay, I've never been fond of the full "security" suites.

Likewise. Too often, I've had customers contact me for Internet access issues that turned out to be their Norton Internet Security (or similar suite) deciding to randomly block access to certain critical services (such as svchost), or to the ISP's nameserver (cause the customer had no clue what "port 53" meant in that popup they got from their security suite, so they clicked "Deny").

Last edited:
I've resolved the issue by setting 'Authentication Method' to HTTPS under Administration->System! Now even with Kaspersky turned on Web GUI is OK.

HTTPS not available to set on certain routers

Hi,

Had the same problem with an N12 D1 ASUS wireless router interface while using Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10. There's no solution on the ASUS side, since this particular model's firmware does not allow https connections to the web interface.

The solution I've found is to whitelist the router's IP address within the network attack blocker section of the security software.

Steps for KES 10:
1. Access the KES interface.
2. Go to the Settings tab.
3. Select network Attack Blocker
4. Click Exclusions
5. Click Add.
6. Type in the router's IP address(e.g. 192.168.1.1 or whatever address your router uses).
7. Hit OK to confirm the setting.
8. Hit OK to close the Exclusions, too.
9. Hit Save in the KES window.

Problem solved. It should also apply to any other security suite, only the steps, setting locations and names will differ.

My Admin page was broken on my asus rt-ac66u. The problem is that the javascript on the admin page was throwing an error in the very beginning of the page load. The exception was caused by my sonos controller. Apparently the network name n my sonos boost has a line break in it. The admin page builds a dynamic string of the devices and the line break in the name caused an unterminated string, throwing an uncaught exception which skipped the rest of the javascript on the page, completely hosing the entire ui.

The solution was to unplug the sonos controller and restart the router. After that the admin page loaded correctly.

I also suddenly got a broken gui. I installed a new Panasonic LED TV in the network yesterday, can it be related...? Merlin 374.50 installed.

I use Avast, I have added an exclusion from 192.168.1.1. No improvement though...

I have tried FF, IE and Chrome. No difference.

What to do...? I cannot manage the router right now :(

wty7a8.jpg

2r4hqms.jpg

Well, I'm considering either using the asus firmware restoration tool. Or... using this as an excuse to upgrade to RT-AC68U instead :)

Any thoughts on the upgrade path, is it worth it? What is the diff between N66U and AC68U (besides the n --> ac support)

Well, I'm considering either using the asus firmware restoration tool. Or... using this as an excuse to upgrade to RT-AC68U instead :)

Any thoughts on the upgrade path, is it worth it? What is the diff between N66U and AC68U (besides the n --> ac support)
As the RT-N66u and RT-AC68U use the same AsusWRT software, I guess you will see the same problem happen in the RT-AC68U user interface.
I suggest to temporary disable Avast (eventually disconnect the router from the modem during the time you have no anti virus software active), and see if that helps to access the router.

Major differences between the RT-N66U and RT-AC68U are 802.11ac support and a dual core CPU for the last.
If you have 802.11ac clients, the performance of the RT-AC68U shall be better.
Be aware that the 802.11ac standard is still in full development, the RT-AC87U does support "more" of the 802.11ac standard then the RT-AC68U. And next year there will be something new for sure again :)
The RT-AC68U appears quite well established and stable these days.

I tried the disable Avast procedure, no luck :(

Any other guess what can cause the GUI to behave like that?

I see you have Adblock Plus installed. Try disabling it for 192.168.1.1. Clear cache and try again.