What's new

Asus RT-N66R dropped speed and packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MojoRisin

New Around Here
So I purchased an Asus RT-N66R from Best Buy this morning, and I'm having some trouble. Setup was easy and I was connected to the internet within minutes. I bought the router for use with my xbox one, and that is where things are going badly. When I first connected, I checked the speeds and they were excellent. Very shortly after, I experienced quite a bit of lag. So I checked the speeds again and they were terrible, and I'm getting packet loss as high as 65%. If I disconnect and reconnect then it's good for about a whole minute before going downhill again. The router is in the next room(ie: one wall away, I live in a apartment building and I share internet with my neighbors so it's cheaper). I also have the latest firmware installed on the router. Anybody have any tips? I would love to get this fixed as soon as possible since I didn't spend 120$ on a new router for it to be not working. Thanks

Did you test different channels? If the channel is set to Auto, it usually picks the worst, imo. :)

Alright so it seems to have helped the packet loss. but speeds still aren't the greatest. I took it off channel 6 and put it on channel 1. Anything else I can do like adjust bandwidth frequency? Also I did this for the 2.4ghz range. I forgot to mention that slow speeds and packet loss were on both 2.4 and 5.0ghz.

Try setting the Preamble type to 'Short'. Also, make sure it is using 20MHz channel width too.

On the 5GHz band, do the same, but use the 'auto' setting for the channel width (20/40).

If you are using an old ssid for both bands; use a new one instead for each band (I recommend separate ssid's for each band, at least for testing purposes) or 'forget' and re-associate each device you have connected to your network.

Are you rebooting the router between tests? :)

Also, play with the settings for the Optimized for Xbox and the b/g Protection checkboxes too.

Again; reboot between any changes to test properly (and that includes the clients as well as the router).

What is Preamble?? I assume it has nothing to do with The Constitution hah

Look in the General tab in the Wireless settings for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and in the Professional tab as well for those settings. ;)

ok changed the 2,4ghz settings and packet loss is back up. Is this due to changing the preamble or the 20/40mhz settings?

When testing different configurations, you must do them one at a time and in all possible combinations, systematically. Otherwise, you're just chasing your tail.

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of the things I test and the notes with each change. ;)

To ensure that the router and the clients are using the new setting you specified and not 'remembering' the old values.

Always.

Does this also occur on wired connections? You may also try powering down your modem for about a 1/2 hour to reset your ISP connection. Some ISPs get upset when they see new hardware.

Alright, I will try all that. I may just reset it to factory settings and start from scratch. Is it possible that it takes a day or so to settle itself out?

I have seen that happen with earlier firmware. I remember being not too impressed right after flashing my own router (cannot remember what version that was right now) and having to leave for a job. When I remembered to check and test it further the next day, it was humming along great.

Reset to factory defaults via the gui after you have unplugged all USB devices and rebooted the router.

You may even want to try flashing the same firmware again (it has helped others).

While doing the above, I would have the modem powered off as long as possible too (some ISP's need an hour or more to properly 'reset' the connection).

Now, after having flashed the firmware, minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. I would also use a new ssid for both bands at this point.

Change the Preamble type to Short and choose a starting Channel for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands (and set the channel widths to 20MHz and 20/40MHz appropriately too).

Now you can test and experiment with each other setting to see what works best for you.

Make your testing systematic and if not already positioned so, raise your router to at least 10' above ground level (earth) and with as few obstructions around it in 3D (at least a metre in each direction) and not in a closet, cabinet or enclosed shelf.

Also test with different antennae placement but start with the Asus recommended \|/ and don't change until the settings within the firmware have been tested first.

And last point. If using a laptop for the testing, place it on a stationary surface and do not move it (even an inch) for all your testing above.

Ok thanks. What do you mean by "flashing" the firmware?

To 'flash' the firmware, is to Upload new, older or the same firmware from the gui,

http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

in the page above (if you are logged in to your router and it is at that IP address).

Or to do in with the rescue mode and the firmware restoration utility from Asus.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000814/

Either way, it is how you install or re-install firmware on the router.

;) Looks like we lost MojoRisin ;)