What's new

Asus RT-N66U 2.4g and 5g best settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pstoric83

New Around Here
I'm running the 3.0.0.4.376.3861 firmware and I'm not hitting the top speed for 2.4Ghz (300mbps) or 5Ghz (450Mbps). I have the channel bandwidth set to auto 20/40Mhz, would setting it to 40 only fix that probelm?

Most likely, you won't hit that top speed ever, if you mean actual throughput.

If you mean simply indicated connection rates, that would depend on the clients you are using.

Why not? please explain, I'm interested on that too.

I'm running the 3.0.0.4.376.3861 firmware and I'm not hitting the top speed for 2.4Ghz (300mbps) or 5Ghz (450Mbps). I have the channel bandwidth set to auto 20/40Mhz, would setting it to 40 only fix that probelm?
Hi,

First of all you should use this firmware version of the N66U fimrware for the N66U device for best range and speed results.

I remember having some max. speed issues when I left the router to choose 20/40 MHz - only forcing it to 40 MHz brought full speed on 2.4 MHz - did not see this issue on 5 GHz.
But a crawded area with many WLANs can also prevent you from getting full speed.

On the other side the client devices need to support the the speed (which mobile phones and tablets often do not do) and you need to by USB WLAN dongles for your Laptops or PCs to get higher speed.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

joegreat: But that's a really old firmware... Merlin is now on 378.50 / 378.51 Beta.
pstoric83: But that's true, ensure you are forcing into 40mhz channel bandwidth, plus check the less used wireless channel and use a client that can support such max speed.

joegreat: But that's a really old firmware... Merlin is now on 378.50 / 378.51 Beta.
Hi,

Yes and No: Yes the basic is old, but John does a fantastic job to improve/add things which make sense and to fix all security issues!

It's your choice: Best performance with the N66U router or most actual firmware and less performance! :confused:

With kind regards

I've been trying several different firmwares on my N66U and I've run into quirks with all of them. I'm glad I ran into this thread. I'll definitely give that version a shot. Just one question: What change was made (post 374.43) that made wireless on the N66U unstable? I've read several threads and I've seen several recommend older firmwares for N66U but I haven't seen an explanation as to why these older firmwares are more stable. If you don't know, that's fine, I'm mostly just curious.

Just one question: What change was made (post 374.43) that made wireless on the N66U unstable? I've read several threads and I've seen several recommend older firmwares for N66U but I haven't seen an explanation as to why these older firmwares are more stable. If you don't know, that's fine, I'm mostly just curious.
Hi,

The driver version changed (should be a better one), but in the same time the regulation (laws!) kicked in and reduced the signal strength, which some users claim to be an issue (not me! ;)). My N66U is still by far stronger (with limited WLAN power!) then the AC68U at full power!

IMHO the most issues with WLAN are due to misconfiguration (of router AND clients!) - always go to default settings - and even more often to many other WLANs in the area. :eek:

With kind regards

Huh... Well thanks for the explanation. I'm running 378.50 and a few of my wireless devices just drop to very low speed at random (low enough that apps don't work or say they're disconnected). I'm going to try a few more things on this FW and if it doesn't clear up, I'll try 374.43. Thanks again!