What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 3G failover - trying to get it to work - Huawei E3131

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peraburek

Hello,

I have ASUS RT-N66U (actually 3 of them) with Merlin FW 378.53
I use VDSL 30/5 Mbit/s as my primary WAN (ISP modem is in bridge mode) so RT-N66U is doing PPPoE
I would like to setup DUAL WAN fail-over to Huawei E3131h-2 3G dongle but I didn't have much luck

I have a feeling that Huawei E3131 mode is not adjusted for ASUS RT-N66U
3G dongle is not listed in USB devices - however dongle LED is on (blue)
if I connect USB memory stick (flash drive) it is shown in USB devices

does 3G dongle need to be in SERIAL MODEM mode in order to work with ASUS ROUTER?

if yes, I could try to use this tool Zyxel 3G Modem Mode Switcher (it is in Russian ONLY!)

http://zyxel.ru/sites/default/downl...r_1.0/software/3G_Modem_Mode_Switcher_1.0.zip

zyxelprogramztehuawei0.png

I have found link here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=77433

Zyxel 3G modem mode switcher - Russian release notes google translated to English

Program mode switching 3G-modem ZTE and Huawei to provide the best compatibility with Internet centers Series ZyXEL Keenetic

Release Notes (Release Notes)

Title: 3G Modem Mode Switcher for ZTE and Huawei
Version: 1.0
Release date: 07.04.2011
Russian Language
Category: Utility
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / 7 32/64 bit
Supported Modems: Most HSDPA / HSUPA 3G-modem ZTE and Huawei
Purpose: The utility produces switching 3G-modems to ensure better compatibility with Internet centers Series ZyXEL Keenetic
Added features: -
Corrections: -
Upgrades from previous versions: -

Use:

1. Plug the modem into your computer. Wait for the modem, install the software (if not already installed). If after completing the installation of USB-modem application starts automatically, close it.
2. Run 3gsw.exe and press the desired mode.
- In the "modem only" all the extra features (including virtual disk with software modem, card reader, etc.) are disabled. This mode is recommended for use with the Internet Center ZyXEL series Keenetic.
- In the "Extras. The" extras virtual disk with software modem, card reader are included.
3. After the successful switch the modem, close the tool, unplug the modem from the computer and connect via USB to a ready for use Internet center ZyXEL.
4. Do not remove the installed software from the computer modem. This will subsequently switch between the modem.

ZyXEL is not responsible for any consequences that may result from use of the program: the user uses the program "as is" at your own risk.

3G dongle (Huawei E3131) works fine when I connect it to my laptop USB (for test purposes), Internet connection is also fine I got Public IP, all ports are open
E3131 wiki page - http://tjworld.net/wiki/Huawei/E3131UsbHspa

ok I have found exact model number: E3131h-2 it is located UNDER SIM card
at the moment E3131h-2 doesn't work with my ASUS RT-N66U, I am waiting for ASUS Support to respond, maybe they can include new driver for E3131h-2 in new firmware version

Last edited:
Hello,

I have ASUS RT-N66U (actually 3 of them) with Merlin FW 378.53
I use VDSL 30/5 Mbit/s as my primary WAN (ISP modem is in bridge mode) so RT-N66U is doing PPPoE
I would like to setup DUAL WAN fail-over to Huawei E3131h-2 3G dongle but I didn't have much luck

does 3G dongle need to be in SERIAL MODEM mode in order to work with ASUS ROUTER?

if yes, I could try to use this tool Zyxel 3G Modem Mode Switcher (it is in Russian ONLY!)

http://zyxel.ru/sites/default/downl...r_1.0/software/3G_Modem_Mode_Switcher_1.0.zip

zyxelprogramztehuawei0.png

I have found link here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=77433

Zyxel 3G modem mode switcher - Russian release notes google translated to English

3G dongle (Huawei E3131) works fine when I connect it to my laptop USB (for test purposes), Internet connection is also fine I got Public IP, all ports are open
E3131 wiki page - http://tjworld.net/wiki/Huawei/E3131UsbHspa

ok I have found exact model number: E3131h-2 it is located UNDER SIM card
at the moment E3131h-2 doesn't work with my ASUS RT-N66U, I am waiting for ASUS Support to respond, maybe they can include new driver for E3131h-2 in new firmware version

I played around with the Dual WAN feature on ASUS stock firmware. I messed with all the settings just to experiment and I had a little trouble getting it to work. I reset the N66U to factory defaults and quit tinkering around with it and it worked fine immediately and was reliable with my setup (primary-cable modem....backup DSL). I realize that my setup is different than yours and it's possible that your dongle isn't currently compatible. So I guess you could give it a reset to default just to make sure. Just in my brief experience, the Dual WAN didn't like being tinkered with. It seems like it just wants you to set it up correctly and leave it alone. ;)

Hello,

Try logging into the router via ssh and run:

ip a

That should give you a list of the interfaces. If your modem is recognised it will probably be either usb0 or ppp0:

10: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,10000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
link/ether 02:64:02:6e:0b:02 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.42.170/24 brd 192.168.42.255 scope global usb0

That's what I get tethering an Android phone.

Any luck using the E3131h-2 with merlin? I`m having the same problem. Now I`m using tomato usb and is working but I want merlin`s.

ask merlin, perhaps he can add support for e3131 / e3372 from tomato

I asked him and he said that he is not touching 3g/4g code. So is up to asus first to release something and then merlin will do his job.

the next firmware from Merlin will support e3131 / e3372

upload_2015-9-2_18-47-31-png.2880

Ther is a new modswitch 2.2.3 and this supports the stick

upload_2015-9-2_21-2-18-png.2881

great :)

Can`t wait for it. I just bought AC87U and I`m waiting to make it my main router and N66u (currently with tomato because of huawei 3131h 3g dongle) will be on second floor. By the way these temps are ok for AC87U?

2.4 GHz: 49°C - 5 GHz: 72°C - CPU: 83°C

ok, same as my 87u