What's new

ASUS RT-N66U as router only, or update?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which would you choose?

• Stick with N66U as router

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Update to newer Asus as router

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ngsm13

New Around Here
Hello all,

I recently picked up 2x TP-LINK EAP225_V3 access points, and 1x EAP225_Outdoor. Current idea is to disable wireless on my trusty old N66U running Merlin 380_70. However, I'm wondering if the N66U serving as a hardware router only will be a burden?

I'm not at all interested in jumping in to building my own router, or diving into Ubiquiti, Netgear, or Draytek hardware options.

Should I stick with the N66u, or pick up a newer Asus to use for routing duties only?

Thanks.

Hello all,

Should I stick with the N66u, or pick up a newer Asus to use for routing duties only?

Thanks.

By routing only do you mean just connecting multiple devices to one Internet connection or do you need to handle other processor intensive functions such as QOS, VPN, etc?

Is Wifi Important as an AC class router will increase speeds even for N devices.

If your or planned download speed is over 250 Mbps then you need a newer more powerful router.

By routing only do you mean just connecting multiple devices to one Internet connection or do you need to handle other processor intensive functions such as QOS, VPN, etc?

Is Wifi Important as an AC class router will increase speeds even for N devices.

If your or planned download speed is over 250 Mbps then you need a newer more powerful router.
Currently I do not use QoS or VPN. I mention using a consumer grade wireless router, and disabling wireless because ideally I'd like to shove it in my structured wiring cabinet in the corner of my basement. I'm also familiar and comfortable with MerlinWRT and like the interface.

As for Wifi, the plan is to utilize the 3 AC class TP-Link AP's only, connected to whichever router I use in the basement.

Current internet speeds are 200/10 through spectrum, and I see myself staying there for the foreseeable future.

Currently I do not use QoS or VPN. I mention using a consumer grade wireless router, and disabling wireless because ideally I'd like to shove it in my structured wiring cabinet in the corner of my basement. I'm also familiar and comfortable with MerlinWRT and like the interface.

As for Wifi, the plan is to utilize the 3 AC class TP-Link AP's only, connected to whichever router I use in the basement.

Current internet speeds are 200/10 through spectrum, and I see myself staying there for the foreseeable future.

Then the N66 will meet your routing requirements. The issue is that the N66 is EOL as far as firmware updates on most/all of the firmware branches with perhaps the exception of John's fork. If that is the case then there won't be any patches for still TBD security issues.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll ride this out, and maybe try out the Mikrotik hEX when I get the chance!