What's new

ASUS RT-N66U B1 stuck on firmware 3.0.0.4.220

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobertDeNiro

New Around Here
Hi, there,

Just got ASUS RT-N66U B1, which has firmware 3.0.0.4.220 on it. Actually even the sticker on the box indicates firmware 3.0.0.4.220.

Tried updating the firmware and got this message although here I can find newer firmware versions: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1:
attachment.php

Downloaded both version 3.0.0.4.246 and version 3.0.0.4.260 of ASUS RT-N66U B1 firmwares (source: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)) and tried installing them manually and got this result:
attachment.php

Could someone please explain me why my router ASUS RT-N66U B1 is stuck on firmware 3.0.0.4.220 ? Maybe there's another way to "push" the newest firmware on it ?

I had no issues whatsoever with my previous asus router (RT-N56U) in respect of firmware updates through asus router utility.

Attachments

• No available updates.PNG
    No available updates.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,459
  • upgrade fail.PNG
    upgrade fail.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,506
See KevTech's post below before reading mine!

That's quite odd. I've never seen a firmware fail to flash like that.

You can put the router in emergency mode (power off the router, and then power it on while holding down the reset button until the power LED blinks slowly).

From there, you can either use the emergency web interface (set your computer to use a static IP of 192.168.1.x or greater) and flash (I would clear NVRAM from that page as well), or use the Firmware Recovery tool on the CD that came with the router.

I tend to use the web interface as the recovery tool has failed to flash firmware quite a few times for me, and the web interface has never failed yet, but either way should really work. Using the recovery tool will save you from having to use a static IP as well.

Note that both ways will clear the NVRAM - which means you'll lose all your current settings. Make sure to back them up beforehand if you need to.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Perhaps this does not work in the .220 f/w. You can manually download the f/w from Asus download site and save it on your pc, Then you just put in the saved and unzipped f/w path , location on your pc in the gui and start the update. You will have to wait for a couple of minutes when the update is complete and to be on the safe side then power off ( on the router. When you update use a wired connection to your pc.

You are extracting the trx from the zip before uploading to router?
f%ck what a shame :D I guess that auto message “no available updates” threw me off and so I kept uploading the zip before extracting. Thanks.

Topic closed. Firmware has been updated!

f%ck what a shame :D I guess that auto message “no available updates” threw me off and so I kept uploading the zip before extracting. Thanks.

Topic closed. Firmware has been updated!
Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?