What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Beta Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4850
Release note:
- Add DDNS support method and tutorials on web interface when DDNS is not able to use in some areas.

A beta release 3.0.0.4.378
And all the change from 376 to 378 brings is a DDNS update??

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4850
Release note:
- Add DDNS support method and tutorials on web interface when DDNS is not able to use in some areas.

A beta release 3.0.0.4.378
And all the change from 376 to 378 brings is a DDNS update??

There's of course the endless list of changes that happened between them. Chances are Asus didn't keep track of them, as they were both developped in parallel, with some backports happening over time.

Still nice to see them move it to the 378 codebase.

Same beta version for the old RT-N16, It is great that Asus still supporting this old model!

ASUS RT-N16 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4850

Same beta version for the old RT-N16, It is great that Asus still supporting this old model!

ASUS RT-N16 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4850

Yes, Asus keeps impressing me with their generosity. What other manufacturer supports a 5 plus year old router like this? None that I am aware of.

I am happy too, thats why I decided longer ago to drop Linksys with their <1 year support for most routers.

One new thing I noticed is the custom DST setting, now allways active:
upload_2015-4-7_19-19-7.png

Europe changes time the last Sunday of March and October.
The last Sunday is either the 4th or the 5th, depending of the year.
The dropdown list should be: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, Last.
Ok, I do not use the router as wall clock, so who cares :)

A straight upgrade did clear the LAN IPv6 Prefix field, manual re-enry worked.
My suggestion: clear NVRAM and re-configure manual!

Last edited:
At the Wireless>Professional page I noticed a "follow-cursor" support note:
upload_2015-4-7_20-7-34.jpeg

It shows with Firefox and Internet Explorer, no harm, just a little glitch :)

Same firmware...same version # and md5sum listed for rt-n56u.

The files themselves have different sizes and checksums - so looks like a web page error only, but misses the point about checksums!

Does this version update wireless drivers?
Is it necessary to reset router?
I found at least one IPv6 configuration field being cleared as result of the upgrade, who knows what else get changed.
I recommend to clear NVRAM and re-configure manual.
Keep in mind Asus considers this a Beta version firmware.

I wouldn't expect any more driver update, since at this point Broadcom has long moved on from 6.30 to newer platforms. They're up to 10.10.x now, for their next generation of products that will come out this year.

At best there might be tweaks by Asus to the chain's power tables or settings, but don't expect any code or version change.

3.0.0.4.378.4850 on RT-N66U isn't very stable - utorrent activity will cause a router reboot every 2-3 minutes ...

3.0.0.4.378.4850 on RT-N66U isn't very stable - utorrent activity will cause a router reboot every 2-3 minutes ...

Patient: "Doctor, Doctor! It hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Don't do that."

I was also underwhelmed by all the features that performed poorly in my RT-N66U. I now use it primarily as a wireless router and it has perfect uptime.

Though, in my opinion, buy/create a tool for the job. Some things can do many things well, but rarely. The RT-x line of routers are awesome, in my opinion.

Rollback to 3.0.0.4.376_3861 fixed all the issues :)
I made rollback also. Everything was fine until I applyed some addresses to url filter, then it went into bootloop, 5 sec reset, quick start setup and back to 3.0.0.4.376_3861. Everything works fine again :).

When final 378 release will come, let's try again :)

Another situation close to boot loop here. Started 10 minutes after the upgrade and then every 1-2 minutes the router began to disappear. Then I reset the router and after 20 minutes the reboots started again.
I couldn't identify the culprit.

Last edited:
Mine lost its wireless signals after a few hours since the update. When looking at the log i saw that it tries continuously to synchronize the time (it has never been able to do that in the past) Maybe it runs out of memory, sockets available to that or something else, but when i removed the NTP server it does seem to keep on working, even while the log keeps on showing these lines. It has been online for 9 hrs, which is a record since the update :)
anyone else see these lines?
Jan 1 08:52:17 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:52:45 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:53:12 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:53:39 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:54:06 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:54:33 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:55:00 ntp: start NTP update

Mine lost its wireless signals after a few hours since the update. When looking at the log i saw that it tries continuously to synchronize the time (it has never been able to do that in the past) Maybe it runs out of memory, sockets available to that or something else, but when i removed the NTP server it does seem to keep on working, even while the log keeps on showing these lines. It has been online for 9 hrs, which is a record since the update :)
anyone else see these lines?
Jan 1 08:52:17 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:52:45 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:53:12 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:53:39 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:54:06 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:54:33 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 1 08:55:00 ntp: start NTP update
Since some firmware versions the NTP log messages appear with a hour interval, not every so many minutes.
Was the routers internal clock correct?
Is there a valid NTP server configured (default: pool.ntp.org)?
Did you erase NVRAM after the upgrade and manual configure the router?