What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone compare the performance of the RT-N66U with the RT-N56U? I think that would be very interesting.

Thanks...
I don't know if you checked already, but you can check the range and speed compared to other routers from the reviews and database posted by this website.

For wireless range and speed you can check 2.4ghz here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/58-2_4-ghz-dn

Then highlight a few that you want to compare by checking the box next to each name, and clicking the "Performance vs Location" button at the top. You can also change the "benchmark" to view at the top of the screen.

I agree, and would love to know the approx range. Is there a way to check the range of a router, other than counting the number of bars on the laptop?
Best way to determine range is to walk a client around and look for loss of signal. Or start a music stream (like Pandora) and note where it has problems.

Link rate is a better indication of signal strength/quality than the "bar" indication in most clients. But the link rate shown in Windows' Wireless Connection properties can be buggy or infrequently updated. You may get a more accurate indication by using inSSIDer or other similar programs.

Hey guys, I got my new RT-N66U installed today and so far all seems okay. When pulling up InSSider to adjust my antenna, I notice that it reports my Max Rate at 216(N). My old router was always at 300(N) (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH). Anything I'm doing wrong here?

Howdy,
They must be coming into the channels now. I ordered from Newegg.com while it said pre-order and the next day I recieved my invoice and tracking number.

Anyway, it arrived today Thursday 2/23 :)

firmware 3.0.0.3.90 ver B1

Last edited:
Ordered mine from Amazon on 2/11 and haven't heard a thing. Are the ones from eBay with newer firmware?

Howdy,
They must be coming into the channels now. I ordered from Newegg.com while it said pre-order and the next day I recieved my invoice and tracking number.

Anyway, it arrived today Thursday 2/23 :)

Which firmware version did it come with?

Got message from support:

HTTPS support is being developed for the RT-N66u. The expected availability of HTTPS will be during the second quarter of this year.

This is what I call customer service!

Got message from support:

This is what I call customer service!

You want this for web router access?
If yes as far as I go I really don't see that a priority...Most of the times when I access my router from outside I do it from my phone/ipad, in which case I use a VPN client to tunnel into my router (via VPN server running on it). You get a lot of security with that, no need for https!

-G37x

Did anyone upgraded from a WNDR 3700? If so, how does the range compare? I find my 3700 range is a bit lacking and had to buy two to cover my house. I am wondering if I can by with one N66U.

yes I discovered this possibility already. in my network environment are a lot of people who should not be able to access the router or be able to sniff the password when someone is logging in. I am not the only IT responsible person there and they change very often (student association). so someone COULD forget to use vpn -> so why not fix this missing feature? it is simply a security issue and a login/pass restriction is not enough. (of course not priority 1 but significant!)

yes I discovered this possibility already. in my network environment are a lot of people who should not be able to access the router or be able to sniff the password when someone is logging in. I am not the only IT responsible person there and they change very often (student association). so someone COULD forget to use vpn -> so why not fix this missing feature? it is simply a security issue and a login/pass restriction is not enough. (of course not priority 1 but significant!)

I understand, makes sense... Definitely not 1st priority for this router.

Did anyone upgraded from a WNDR 3700? If so, how does the range compare? I find my 3700 range is a bit lacking and had to buy two to cover my house. I am wondering if I can by with one N66U.

I upgraded from 3700 v1 and range and transfer rate are much better reaches spots in basement 3700 was not able to reach . Files that took 6 minutes o transfer with 3700 2 minutes with rt66

4shared is officially jacked up for me. is there an alternate hosting location?

hey toastman, if you want me to donate some hosting, let me know.

4shared is officially jacked up for me. is there an alternate hosting location?

hey toastman, if you want me to donate some hosting, let me know.

though, would you or darksamus mind starting a "Tomato on rt-n66u" thread? It would be wise if this thread was limited to discussion by n66u owners running stock firmware. There's bound to be a bit of crossover but there is definitely a need for multiple threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.