What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the hardware changes don't affect the firmware (as I read it), that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about a revision that actually represents enough change that it requires different firmware. Small fixes are not what I was speculating about *smile*.

But that is interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

Depending on what is being fixed it could easily be invisible to the firmware. For example fixing an RF problem, fixing an internal device electrical noise problem, etc.

When I asked about HW revisions I was not particularly asking about ones that cause firmware changes.

Depending on what is being fixed it could easily be invisible to the firmware. For example fixing an RF problem, fixing an internal device electrical noise problem, etc.

When I asked about HW revisions I was not particularly asking about ones that cause firmware changes.

Sorry, I misinterpreted the hardware part of your question to be addressing "V2" of the router. Yes, there can be cost reduction and repair hardware incremental changes any time. These don't interest me personally very much, since I'm happy with signal strength and throughput of my router as it stands now. There are certainly reasons that one would be watching for specific hardware modifications/changes/repairs; e.g. holding off buying one or exchanging it while you still can.

My current issues with the router are almost all with the GUI/administration that can definitely be fixed in the firmware. In fact, I just looked and I haven't even rebooted the router in more than a month now. Last time I did that I was playing with my Verizon Network Extender, getting that working.

Sorry I misconstrued your question.

No problem at all. Just clarifying.

One that I am somewhat concerned about is the NVRAM problem. In the posts I have seen on this subject I get the feeling that Asus could fix this in a part of the firmware install for their own code but it might take a new revision of something non-changable with a firmware reload to make it work with some of the third party implementations. I am not at all sure I am understanding this correctly. Too many acronyms. That I would care about.

Right now what I need is a stable router with fully functional QoS to see if I can get my Ooma phone (which is not IPV6 capable as far as I know) to function properly. Second priority is proper IPV6 support that includes the admin console tools necessary to operate and protect the LAN (e.g., IPV6 firewall configuration). My ISP has supported IPV6 for a fairly long time. If I get QoS I can live with the rest of the firmware issues for a while. I have pretty vanilla networking needs. So I am trying to hold off until at least QoS is operating properly.

And maybe there will start to be sales.

No problem at all. Just clarifying.

One that I am somewhat concerned about is the NVRAM problem. In the posts I have seen on this subject I get the feeling that Asus could fix this in a part of the firmware install for their own code but it might take a new revision of something non-changable with a firmware reload to make it work with some of the third party implementations. I am not at all sure I am understanding this correctly. Too many acronyms. That I would care about.

Yes, I was reading about the nvram issue as well, and it looked like there was concern that the nvram size wasn't changed in the "CFE", only where the Linux kernel sets up its "mtd" partitions. So the kernel and "CFE" would differing ideas of where the nvram starts and ends, which could cause difficulties later on. However, when they do change the "CFE", which seems to be the right way to make this change work well, from reading elsewhere it seemed that the "CFE" contents could be updated manually on current routers.

In simple terms, I found that "mtd" is a utility program that's used to write to the "flash" memory, hence the use of its name in relation to the "flash" memory partitions. The "CFE" is the Common Firmware Environment, analogous to the BIOS on the IBM PC platform. The CFE is used to set up the hardware and software environment and to start the embedded Linux kernel booting.

Anyways, this will all become more clear with time, I'm betting *smile*.

In simple terms, I found that "mtd" is a utility program that's used to write to the "flash" memory, hence the use of its name in relation to the "flash" memory partitions.

To be more accurate, MTD is a technology that allows to take flash memory, and access it like a partitioned disk, rather than through complex proprietary APIs and drivers. The tool is named mtd because it's meant to manipulate the MTD partitions, not the other way around :)

Closing thread

This thread has gotten way too long. As OPs have noted, it's tough finding useful information. (I probably should have done a better job policing it.)

Please start new threads and use descriptive titles. Thanks.

If anyone wants recent posts moved to a new thread, let me know via PM.

Un-sticking this, as this is no longer important enough to be sitting there at the top of the sub-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.