What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - port range forwarding doesn't work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Renecek

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

using latest merlin on my RT-N66U. I tried to forward port range 51001 - 51250.
On website canyouseeme.org it shows that ports are blocked. Tried 51001, 51002, 51200, 51250 etc.

If I add into asus router single port, like 55555, canyouseeme.org shows me success.

How can I forward port range? Have firewall enabled. See screenshot please.
Thank you

FMqUN6Q.png

Sorry, must be not awake this morning. Stupid answer deleted...

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

For a port forward test to succeed, you need to have software actively listening to the forwarded ports. Since you are forwarding a range, this is unlikely to be the case - those look like ports that get only used on-demand, not that are actively listened to at all time.

RMelin: I need it for rTorrent. Have ports 51001 - 51250 so it's running with random port.
So if rTorrent is currently using port 51009 it will be open right? And canyouseeme will shows other ports as closed right?
Thank you

Last edited:
RMelin: I need it for rTorrent. Have ports 51001 - 51250 so it's running with random port.
So if rTorrent is currently using port 51009 it will be open right? And canyouseeme will shows other ports as closed right?
Thank you

Port 51009 should show as open, provided your client listens to both tcp and udp (udp cannot be easily tested).

Other ports will be shown as either closed or stealth, depending on your computer's own firewall when handling packets sent to these ports.

Just tried it using 380.61 and N66U, port forwarding works. Try your software first, if it fails to port forward, then you can say it's not working.