What's new

Asus RT --N66U vs Asus RT-A66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ct1615

Regular Contributor
I currently have the N66U and saw a great deal on the RT - A66U so I picked it up. Testing the A66U I saw the exact same range as my N66U and using three separate clients (AC smart phone, AC 1200 wi-fi bridge, and N900 PCI adapter on my PC) I saw no performance difference between the two routers. While in good range I had the exact same performance (speedtest) from both routers. The performance was also even as I got further away from the routers and range dropped.

We stream all our cable tv through two Rokus (one hardwired to the router and the second through powerline adapters). Am I missing something? Is there any reason to keep the Asus RT-A66U and not return it, other then setting up the N66U as an AP?

802.11ac won't make any performance difference streaming online content, unless you have an Internet connection faster than 200-300 Mbps.

As for range, it should be nearly identical. There is only minimal gain from newer routers, and the N66 and AC66 were only released a few months apart, and are quite similar, aside from 802.11ac support.

The RT-AC66U has the same base hardware as the RT-N66U. It is also a first generation AC class router. Things have improved significantly since the design of the RT-AC66U almost 5 years ago.

Depending on your ISP's speed, the latest (and best) version of the RT-AC68U series is the Best Buy (exclusive) RT-AC1900P. That will show you a performance increase in your network. Range may be the same, but the throughput (if the client's can support higher) will certainly increase.

I've read Tim's article several times and that's what made me pick up the RT-AC66U. I expected range to be similar on both routers but the AC66U having better throughput from my living room (router location) to my master bedroom (similar distance and location to location D in Tim's test). The master bedroom is the bane of my wi-fi setup and I think I'll just set up a cheap N600 router as an AP in it but then that's another 2.4ghz signal to fight with the N66 2.4ghz signal.

If the master bedroom is a major WiFi needed area, consider moving the router to be more 'central' with the master bedroom included then.

The RT-AC3100, the RT-AC5300 and the RT-AC1900P have all been reported to be superior to everything that has come previously.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

The link above shows my experience with a current (RT-AC3100) Asus router running RMerlin firmware. Yes, a lot of money. Yes, a lot of performance increase too. :)

The RT-AC3100 would be a steal at the $191 price it was offered for very recently (basically for the same price or less than the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC1900P too). Those sales will pop up again soon, I know. :)

If the master bedroom is a major WiFi needed area, consider moving the router to be more 'central' with the master bedroom included then.

The RT-AC3100, the RT-AC5300 and the RT-AC1900P have all been reported to be superior to everything that has come previously.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

The link above shows my experience with a current (RT-AC3100) Asus router running RMerlin firmware. Yes, a lot of money. Yes, a lot of performance increase too. :)

The RT-AC3100 would be a steal at the $191 price it was offered for very recently (basically for the same price or less than the RT-AC68U and the RT-AC1900P too). Those sales will pop up again soon, I know. :)

Thanks for the advice on the Asus AC 3100 & 5300 but they are currently out of my price range. Maybe I'll pick one up when they drop in price or look at the Netgear AC 1900 or Asus AC2400.

Currently my router is in the living room as close to the master bedroom as I can get it without placing it in the kitchen, powder room or entry way closet (would need to install an outlet then). I could place it in the garage but then you need to factor in the yearly cold, humidity, and heat. The router covers my basement office perfect (two PCs and two printers) and it covers the kids bedrooms and master bathroom with no issue. Go into the master bedroom (my wife only uses her phone and tablet) and the internet drops like a rock in water from 40mbs down in the master bathroom to 5mbs down. I have an old Asus N56u and I think I will convert it into an access point similar to how Tim suggested in his powerline setup in the link.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...best-way-to-get-whole-house-wireless-coverage

Does anyone know if the Asus N56u can also be used as a bridge if the powerline adapters ever burn out?

You seem to totally ignore the Asus RT-AC1900P? Or you confusing it with the NetGear AC 1900? (Don't).

You can try to use the older RT-N56U, but I wouldn't have high hopes for it (unless you can wire it, PLA are not worth my time to 'play' with).

See if you can test (any) one of the routers I recommended previously. At least you'll know then if an improvement is possible with a new router.

Actually there is a best buy one mile away from me but the RT-AC1900P is $200 there and returning opened box items can be a pain with best buy when I can just ship the item back for free with amazon prime.

My powerline adapter gives me my full 60mbs down in the master bedroom using speedtest on my Roku so I figure an AP will give me solid wi-fi for surfing the web.

Maybe I'll grab an Asus AC 68u if I see a good price drop on one.

Update: So I grabbed the Asus AC68U and once again so no improvement over the AC66U or N66U. The only real improvement was when I converted the N66U as a bridge for my wife's computer (hardly used and has a PCI 300N wi-fi card) and I could fix that with a cheap 5ghz wi-fi adapter. I'm sending the AC68U back.

I simply converted my old N56U into an access point and now get my full 60mb down in the master bedroom instead of 10-15.

Maybe I'll try the TP link archer 1750 down the road or wait for reviews of the broadcom BCM4366E routers when they come out.