What's new

Asus RT n66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JerryS

New Around Here
I have a Asus router for 3 years now. Worked great no problems.
But for two weeks ago my wifi signal was gone and the router dead.
The power adapter led was flickering , an i read on internet it was broken.
So i orderd new one, but tested and still the router is dead. Im over warranty for 4 months and Asus don't want to do anything.

Does anybody here has a suggestion or do i need tor drop in in the dustbin.

So i orderd new one, but tested and still the router is dead. Im over warranty for 4 months and Asus don't want to do anything.

Unless you are really handy with a soldering iron, it is probably the dustbin...sounds like internal power supply issues, most likely capacitors, on the main board. My 66U is about the same age...have my fingers crossed!

I have a Asus router for 3 years now

tbh prob time for an update anyway as 3 years is pretty good for this sort of 24/7 equipment

plus a new router will bring you into the wireless AC world of better coverage even for your older N clients

As pete y testing suggested, it's probably time for an upgrade. Depending on your budget, I'd recommend 2 models. One is the newest model of the Asus AC68U: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000 Or if you have money to go full speed ahead, try this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01707HPKS/?tag=snbforums-20

I'd love to hear how you make out with the replacement.

Mine is now almost four years old and I was thinking of the AC 3200 model. Anyone have comments about that router? Looking to hook it up to gigabit fiber and dump this outdated DSL line.

Mine is now almost four years old and I was thinking of the AC 3200 model. Anyone have comments about that router? Looking to hook it up to gigabit fiber and dump this outdated DSL line.

The RT-AC3200 is not a good choice today, particularly if you want to keep a new router for another 4 years or so. ;)

The RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 are the (Asus) choices today and they are just as incapable as all other prosumer routers to give you actual GbE WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN performance that your (new) ISP might offer.

In a few weeks time, the only 'true' GbE capable ISP router the BRT-AC828 should be available (but I wouldn't recommend being the first in line for one).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ne...-dual-wan-vpn-router.32839/page-2#post-265829

The RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 are the (Asus) choices today and they are just as incapable as all other prosumer routers to give you actual GbE WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN performance that your (new) ISP might offer.

What is your definition of actual GbE WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN performance? My 68U will do 940 Mbps with CTF enabled. Are the speedtest websites not accurate when measuring WAN-LAN speed? I have not tested internally with two computers.

What is your definition of actual GbE WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN performance? My 68U will do 940 Mbps with CTF enabled. Are the speedtest websites not accurate when measuring WAN-LAN speed? I have not tested internally with two computers.

You're on the right track; it depends on how you test as to how high the WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN performance will go.

I am of the opinion that most people here would want to have some or all of the available features enabled (Ai, OpenVPN servers and clients, Traffic statistics, Main and Guest WiFi, etc.), otherwise, a $50 dedicated router (wired) would be sufficient.

When even a small number of combinations of features are enabled, the WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN speeds are half or worse then.

Testing between internal computers won't show it either (it must be routed traffic that is pushed through the WAN port(s) to accurately test them).